The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dogbox transmission [Merged 3-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

there are a few people that have bought them and there are a few people running around on the street with them. I have a friend thinking about getting one and i would love to see him get it, but $4300 isnt chump change to most, so it's kind of hard to spend

Unless you have a dedicated track car that puts out 500+whp that tranny is little extreme. why spend all this cash on a daily driver, I have the TRE "race" tranny that shifts like butter and I'm happy with it...seems little much to spend 4600$ just to say I have a dog box...most people on this board(99%) don't need a dog box.

I could care less about that price I want some actual results and info on it. If it where not for that tall 1st gear scaring me off I would have one already.

Well I just got my first DSM 91 TSi AWD and the first thing is the tranny needs rebuilt, I have been reading posts on every tranny topic and I am probaly going to take it to Shep as soon as i get $$$ and figure out what options I want or need.

My question is that someone mentioned DogBox Racing in another post, so I checked out there web site seemed pretty good and prices are really good, but is it quality? Has anyone had any exeriance with them or know anythig about them?

thanks for any help

Check out magnus motorsports, they have a dogbox for our cars just under $5000. If I had the cash I would go that route. But I did here that shep builds a mean tranny.

We must be talking about to different DogBox Racings? Beacause if you go to this link http://www.dogboxracing.com/services.cfm#rebuild they are cheaper than shepard and for $1200 you can get their race tranny rebuild. Maybe the prices you guys are talking about were for brand new? and theses are rebuild prices? I am not sure cause I doubt there could be 2 DogBox Racing Co. If you could check this link out and tell me what you guys think, cause if the are quality $1200 for rebuild race tranny sounds mighty nice compared to $2200 of shep.

If the link doesn't work it is dogboxracing.com

LOL ok I see now ... we are talking about 2 totally different things then. This place rebuilds your stock trans ( just like shep or tre ) ... a true dogbox is all new internals that doesn't use syncros. A "dogbox" will cost almost $5000 ... but the company " Dogbox" will do a rebuild on your stock trans for less than $1000. Seems like a good price I'm going to email them and ask them about any warranty.

That's funny i was like there is no way we are talking about the same thing.

Let me know if they email you back what there response is. Did you look at there site?
Well let me know if you find out any more information.

Thanks

TSiAWDMillz said:
That's funny i was like there is no way we are talking about the same thing.

Let me know if they email you back what there response is. Did you look at there site?
Well let me know if you find out any more information.

Thanks

Yea I checked out their site ... seems like a good deal. I may be considering their race trans now if they get back to me fast and give me a good price. I told them I need a new input shaft as well and the gvr4 1st gear and also they don't say how much return shipping is or if it's included. Also it doesn't say the syncros are upgraded or if they are just new oem ones. Oem ones are like $8 each at the dealership ... I will let you know if they respond.

Yeah, DogboxRacing is located in Central/North New Jersey. I'm currently waiting to pick my transmission up from these guys. Since I live in NJ, I just dropped the tranny off and will pick it up sometime this week. These guys are extremely nice and honest in their quotes. Noted: They are not nearly as "well known" as Sheppard Racing or BM Tranny, but I've read nothing but good posts about them in NJ DSM forums. Its definitely a small operation run by two guys (Alex and Brian), but they both seem very knowledgable when speaking to them about the rebuild. Give me a week and I'll tell you if the work was worth it. ;)

Well thats good to hear and thanks for the info. So what tranny rebuild did you go with the basic upgrade or the race one. If I send mine there I was probaly going to go with the race tranny for the price. Still can't decided yet between Shep and DogBox. The one thing about Shep is that I can Drop it off at his shop rather than shipping it, but if DogBox does a quality job for another $300 I could get alot more done than Shep. I still don't know. Any more info any one else has would be helpfull.

you have a link to the new jersey forum?

Thanks

I decided to go with just a basic rebuild. After speaking with Alex and telling him my overall goals (low 12's) with the car, he said the race tranny would be a bit overkill. Unlike a typical salesman, he didn't try to push un-wanted/un-needed parts on me.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that xxx is better than xxxx, or Dogbox Racing is the best place for a rebuild. But, they do have really affordable prices and will cater to what ever needs you want for the tranny. It won't hurt to give them a call and get a quote.

I PM'd you the links.

1fast97gsx said:
they didn't even respond to my email ... it's been 2 days now. No way I'm even considering them.
some people dont like to work on holidays. like me

1fast97gsx said:
they didn't even respond to my email ... it's been 2 days now. No way I'm even considering them.

Wow. That's ridiculous that they made you wait for that long! How rude! (/sarcasm) :rolleyes:

I usually consider my purchases based on the quality of the product and/or word of mouth references and experiences from friends with the same product. Not if they can email me back in 5 minutes or less. LOL! :laugh:

I e-mailed them before too and didn't get a response. Like I mentioned before, they are a small operation as far as I know (2 guys). Use the numbers on the contact information page.

GSX_RCR said:
Wow. That's ridiculous that they made you wait for that long! How rude! (/sarcasm) :rolleyes:

I usually consider my purchases based on the quality of the product and/or word of mouth references and experiences from friends with the same product. Not if they can email me back in 5 minutes or less. LOL! :laugh:

eat a dick ... I didnt count weekends or holidays. I emailed them on the 2nd ( same day as my other posts ) and when I posted last and said I got no response ( the 8th ) I didn't even count the day I sent the email, didn't count saturday - monday ... and didn't count wednesday either ( the 8th ) because I figured they may respond later that same day. Nope they didn't .. it's been a week now and no response. Forget using them for anything.

GSX_RCR said:

Considering not many people use their product ( none that I've heard of at least ) their response time and customer service is all we have to go on.

not doubting TRE they are a great bunch of guys and build a helluva tranny, but when i had my tranny built by shepherd i asked him about the GVR-4 first gear cause i wanted it. HE told me he would not warranty it because they are weak and break easily

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back