1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Dog Box dogbox trans transmission [Merged 3-7]

Posted by FastRthenU, Oct 22, 2003

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. HybridAWD

HybridAWD Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2003
    there are a few people that have bought them and there are a few people running around on the street with them. I have a friend thinking about getting one and i would love to see him get it, but $4300 isnt chump change to most, so it's kind of hard to spend

2. paul s

paul s Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2002
    kingston, ON, Canada
    Unless you have a dedicated track car that puts out 500+whp that tranny is little extreme. why spend all this cash on a daily driver, I have the TRE "race" tranny that shifts like butter and I'm happy with it...seems little much to spend 4600$ just to say I have a dog box...most people on this board(99%) don't need a dog box.

458  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.280 @ 134.340 · 2G DSM
  3. JohnTSI

JohnTSI Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2003
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    I could care less about that price I want some actual results and info on it. If it where not for that tall 1st gear scaring me off I would have one already.

4K  9

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    9.270 @ 147.700 · 1G DSM
  4. TSiAWDMillz

TSiAWDMillz Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well I just got my first DSM 91 TSi AWD and the first thing is the tranny needs rebuilt, I have been reading posts on every tranny topic and I am probaly going to take it to Shep as soon as i get $$$ and figure out what options I want or need.

My question is that someone mentioned DogBox Racing in another post, so I checked out there web site seemed pretty good and prices are really good, but is it quality? Has anyone had any exeriance with them or know anythig about them?

thanks for any help

5. volljari

volljari Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Jul 8, 2003
    Check out magnus motorsports, they have a dogbox for our cars just under $5000. If I had the cash I would go that route. But I did here that shep builds a mean tranny.

6. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    dogbox is the way to go but you can have shep build you 2 trannies for the price of a dogbox.

674  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  7. Mack

Mack Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
  8. TSiAWDMillz

Joined Aug 17, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    We must be talking about to different DogBox Racings? Beacause if you go to this link http://www.dogboxracing.com/services.cfm#rebuild they are cheaper than shepard and for $1200 you can get their race tranny rebuild. Maybe the prices you guys are talking about were for brand new? and theses are rebuild prices? I am not sure cause I doubt there could be 2 DogBox Racing Co. If you could check this link out and tell me what you guys think, cause if the are quality $1200 for rebuild race tranny sounds mighty nice compared to $2200 of shep.

If the link doesn't work it is dogboxracing.com

9. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    LOL ok I see now ... we are talking about 2 totally different things then. This place rebuilds your stock trans ( just like shep or tre ) ... a true dogbox is all new internals that doesn't use syncros. A "dogbox" will cost almost $5000 ... but the company " Dogbox" will do a rebuild on your stock trans for less than $1000. Seems like a good price I'm going to email them and ask them about any warranty.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  10. TSiAWDMillz

Joined Aug 17, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's funny i was like there is no way we are talking about the same thing.

Let me know if they email you back what there response is. Did you look at there site?
    Well let me know if you find out any more information.

Thanks

11. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    Yea I checked out their site ... seems like a good deal. I may be considering their race trans now if they get back to me fast and give me a good price. I told them I need a new input shaft as well and the gvr4 1st gear and also they don't say how much return shipping is or if it's included. Also it doesn't say the syncros are upgraded or if they are just new oem ones. Oem ones are like $8 each at the dealership ... I will let you know if they respond.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  12. dustyduff

dustyduff Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2004
    Woodbury, New Jersey
    Yeah, DogboxRacing is located in Central/North New Jersey. I'm currently waiting to pick my transmission up from these guys. Since I live in NJ, I just dropped the tranny off and will pick it up sometime this week. These guys are extremely nice and honest in their quotes. Noted: They are not nearly as "well known" as Sheppard Racing or BM Tranny, but I've read nothing but good posts about them in NJ DSM forums. Its definitely a small operation run by two guys (Alex and Brian), but they both seem very knowledgable when speaking to them about the rebuild. Give me a week and I'll tell you if the work was worth it. ;)

13. TSiAWDMillz

Joined Aug 17, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well thats good to hear and thanks for the info. So what tranny rebuild did you go with the basic upgrade or the race one. If I send mine there I was probaly going to go with the race tranny for the price. Still can't decided yet between Shep and DogBox. The one thing about Shep is that I can Drop it off at his shop rather than shipping it, but if DogBox does a quality job for another $300 I could get alot more done than Shep. I still don't know. Any more info any one else has would be helpfull.

you have a link to the new jersey forum?

Thanks

14. dustyduff

dustyduff Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2004
    Woodbury, New Jersey
    I decided to go with just a basic rebuild. After speaking with Alex and telling him my overall goals (low 12's) with the car, he said the race tranny would be a bit overkill. Unlike a typical salesman, he didn't try to push un-wanted/un-needed parts on me.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that xxx is better than xxxx, or Dogbox Racing is the best place for a rebuild. But, they do have really affordable prices and will cater to what ever needs you want for the tranny. It won't hurt to give them a call and get a quote.

I PM'd you the links.

15. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    they didn't even respond to my email ... it's been 2 days now. No way I'm even considering them.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  16. f4st

f4st Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Aug 10, 2003
    dallas, Texas
    some people dont like to work on holidays. like me

17. GSX_RCR

GSX_RCR Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Wow. That's ridiculous that they made you wait for that long! How rude! (/sarcasm) :rolleyes:

I usually consider my purchases based on the quality of the product and/or word of mouth references and experiences from friends with the same product. Not if they can email me back in 5 minutes or less. LOL! :laugh:

18. dustyduff

dustyduff Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2004
    Woodbury, New Jersey
    I e-mailed them before too and didn't get a response. Like I mentioned before, they are a small operation as far as I know (2 guys). Use the numbers on the contact information page.

19. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    eat a dick ... I didnt count weekends or holidays. I emailed them on the 2nd ( same day as my other posts ) and when I posted last and said I got no response ( the 8th ) I didn't even count the day I sent the email, didn't count saturday - monday ... and didn't count wednesday either ( the 8th ) because I figured they may respond later that same day. Nope they didn't .. it's been a week now and no response. Forget using them for anything.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  20. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    Considering not many people use their product ( none that I've heard of at least ) their response time and customer service is all we have to go on.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  21. wantarace95GSX

wantarace95GSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 19, 2002
    George Mason University, Virginia
    Don't get this gear it breaks too easily

22. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    yea that's what I thought too ... but it was either on TRE site of Sheps site that the gvr4 first was stronger... I didn't think so either tho.

674  0

· 2G DSM
  23. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois

674  0

· 2G DSM
  24. wantarace95GSX

wantarace95GSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 19, 2002
    George Mason University, Virginia
    not doubting TRE they are a great bunch of guys and build a helluva tranny, but when i had my tranny built by shepherd i asked him about the GVR-4 first gear cause i wanted it. HE told me he would not warranty it because they are weak and break easily

25. JohnTSI

JohnTSI Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2003
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    I have a gvr4 1st gear no problems so far but car isn't running that well yet only trapping 125.

4K  9

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    9.270 @ 147.700 · 1G DSM