The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Does Trendy bother you as much as it does me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedinaz

DSM Wiseman
Dec 22, 2002
Scottsdale, Arizona
I have a bit of a rant. I have seen so many poeple in general that are doign things just because it is cool. I wouldnt realy mind if they at least knew what they were wearing or doing or just had a clue in general. My buddies and I am cars guys from way back and we actually know who Von Dutch is, or well was RIP VD. I see so many people that are wearing his clothes, hats, and all kinds of shit and they dont even know what it stands for.

I was at work one day and there is this super hot chick that works hear and she is a very trendy person. Her friend came in and was wearing a VD hat, sideways by the way cant forget that. When I went in the back to eat the girl that worked with me was all excited about her friends new hat. I asked her if she even knew what VD was. She answered yes its a clothing company. I told her no it was a guy that did pinstripping back in the day who has now passed. She replies with, " no I saw him on TV the other day. He didnt look very old at all" Oh man. This actually made me mad. I get mad because she is so ignorant that she thinks some cheesedick pretty man is VD.

This goes along with all the current "car culture" and how it seems to be getting out of hand. It has become so trendy to like cars that it makes me sick. I consider my self a "real" car guy because it si a passion of mine and not jsut something to do cause I want people to like me or I have to be with the "in crowd" The main reason for this rant is because I, like other, will get grouped in with these moronic people.

I have taken up enough bandwith feel free to add.

/rant

I used to feel that way. Now I don't.

People can become knowledgable when a fad lasts. I'm down with that. Likewise, when a fad kicks in, things like popular cars and name brand parts become expensive (which is bad) but the knock off parts and sister cars become cheaper (which is good). I would have to say that the current car fad is good, but I see how frustrating it is when you have to explain things like "Big Daddy" Don Garlits wasn't just an announcer on Speed.

That’s funny.. Everyone around here thinks he’s a designer.. I like how every kid around has the same AEM CAI, DC sports header, 5zigen exhaust and NGK wires. Then the out side has the carbon fiber hood and a Lip with some sort of montegi wheels. I wonder how soon it’s going to be in till kids start throwing Rally parts all over there cars. Will they start to take out there radios too? If you notice they try to inmate the really fast cars. How bad is it going to suck when every kid is running around with 10 year old Evo's and STi's? I hope that’s not going to become the next civic..:dsm: :cry: :dsm:

I got another one, those damn skirts that chicks have been wearing lately with the folds and frills at the bottom. Some can pull it off, but that number is very small and the rest just make me well... :barf: . Blame Paris for that one, nastiness When I see all the people wearing the VD hats all i think is "Fu(k you Ashton". Its REALLY bad in SoCal and it pisses me off cause this is where pinstripping really got its start.

I think the biggest issue these days is lack of originality. I mean fads have been around forever but it seems like in the past five years, I have seen more and more people go toward the same fads. Thanks to the DSM, I dont have enough money to waste on keeping up with the current new look :thumb:

I really don't let what other people do bother me. If they decide to jump on the bandwagon that's fine with me, if they decide to do what nobody else has done that's fine also. As long as you are happy with yourself then why would/should what other people do or don't do bother you? (as long as it doesn't have a direct effect on you)

[shrugs] maybe she was just advertising that she has venereal disease? :barf: :shhh:

I agree - fads are getting out of hand. Still being in high school, I'm exposed to this crap for 3/4 of the year.

TurBoGs-T said:
I really don't let what other people do bother me. If they decide to jump on the bandwagon that's fine with me, if they decide to do what nobody else has done that's fine also. As long as you are happy with yourself then why would/should what other people do or don't do bother you? (as long as it doesn't have a direct effect on you)

It does and thats why it bothers me. When people see that i have a Talon I get asked all the time, "is it fast and furious." Shit like that. Plus now that all these people are into it we have alof of problems in the area I live in with stupid ass people driving dumb, doing burnouts in places that they shouldnt and even here on the boards. That all affects me and others and why this has become as issue with me.

For the most part I could give two shits if some kid thinks his Civic is cool. When he is revving and sliding around a car show and then all the sport compacts get looked at as hooligans then I dont like it.

i hear that dude^ i cant wait to go back and find everyone with a von dutch hat or go back to the parking lot when everyone has the same fart can on their 1.5 hondas or the party pack woofers from circuit city :thumbdown oh well i kinda like old navy myself (i dont know anything about them) quality clothes tho

I just laugh, and thank whomever I'm confident enough in myself to where I don't have to attempt to fit in.

Just be yourself.

Trends don't particularly bother me, as I participate in them sometimes as well. It's when people try to be what they're not that pisses me off.

People wearing Good Charlotte shirts and anarchy wristbands from Hot Topic claiming to be 'punk'.

People wearing Disturbed shirts and pentacle necklaces claiming to be 'goth'

Just the other day, my mom and I were at Wendy's, she drives a 3000GT (not VR-4), and these retards in a silver 95-96 GS drove around the building like twice and revved the car when they drove by each time. They finally got out to go inside, and I just yelled "You drive a ####ing GS, you retard."

People with and identity crisis who can't even pull it off right piss me off.

audiousECLIPSE said:
Just the other day, my mom and I were at Wendy's, she drives a 3000GT (not VR-4), and these retards in a silver 95-96 GS drove around the building like twice and revved the car when they drove by each time. They finally got out to go inside, and I just yelled "You drive a ####ing GS, you retard."

I hear you. Just so you know, if I ever buy a GSX, I will spend the first 15 minutes of my ownership scraping only the X off. :thumb:

95eclipseGST008 said:
I got another one, those damn skirts that chicks have been wearing lately with the folds and frills at the bottom.

Not to sure about the frills but I love the trend in skirt lenght.

They seem to get shorter and shorter every few months! :thumb: ;)

Just for good measure, the guy in the silver GS has an "ECLIPSE" sticker in the front windshield so we wouldn't mistake it for a Ferrari.

I almost did. Then I'm like "Wait! Look at the sticker!"

audiousECLIPSE said:
Just for good measure, the guy in the silver GS has an "ECLIPSE" sticker in the front windshield so we wouldn't mistake it for a Ferrari.

I almost did. Then I'm like "Wait! Look at the sticker!"

haha I just spit water everywhere. :thumb:

audiousECLIPSE said:
People wearing Good Charlotte shirts and anarchy wristbands from Hot Topic claiming to be 'punk'.

People wearing Disturbed shirts and pentacle necklaces claiming to be 'goth'

People with and identity crisis who can't even pull it off right piss me off.

Exactly. I wear shirts that exprese the stuff I like. I like The Who and Led Zep, Pink Floyd, shit like that, but I know why I like them and who the members are. Most people just like a band cause they are in the top 10. Ghey. I saw a guy with a Led Zep shirt on and I said nice shirt. He comes back with " yeah his bad is great" WTF His band?????? You mean THE band.

My GF wants to buy a shirt that say "I was uncool before being uncool was cool."

I hate the whole "gangsta" theme. Why do people feel the need to buy there clothes really big? I don’t understand they look ridiculous!! I also hate when you’re at the track or a car show and some one come's and opens all there door's and plays really bad techno music for hours upon hours. Maybe ill never understand this because im just a country boy.. :barf:

Or when at a sportcompact car show a fight always breaks out. ALWAYS. I have never been to a classic car show or muscle car show and had people fight. What are they fighting about, its a God Damn car show. :mad:

Have you ever been to a classic car show? Those are the koolest dude's ever! They would help or tell you anything.. Everyone at Import shows are a holes!

maybe its cause im still young but i love to watch ppl dduke it out its still pretty sweet...

Whos cares? I have more to worry about then being trendy. If you like something why let other tell you if you should or not. I will admit it is wired seeing my 14 year old sister wearing a Ramones T shirt, but damn it who cares? Probaly no one but a bunch of 7th or 8th graders

big green said:
Whos cares? I have more to worry about then being trendy. If you like something why let other tell you if you should or not. I will admit it is wired seeing my 14 year old sister wearing a Ramones T shirt, but damn it who cares? Probaly no one but a bunch of 7th or 8th graders
\

boostedinaz said:
It does and thats why it bothers me. When people see that i have a Talon I get asked all the time, "is it fast and furious." Shit like that. Plus now that all these people are into it we have alof of problems in the area I live in with stupid ass people driving dumb, doing burnouts in places that they shouldnt and even here on the boards. That all affects me and others and why this has become as issue with me.

For the most part I could give two shits if some kid thinks his Civic is cool. When he is revving and sliding around a car show and then all the sport compacts get looked at as hooligans then I dont like it.

That is why I care. I could give two shits if someone is dumb, but if it affect me then I have a problem.

It's clothing. It's what you do... it's culture. Be yourself and don't jump on bandwagons, then you won't really be affected. Sure, you see it. Just ignore it. I see probably 1,000 things that aggravate the hell out of me each day. I don't sweat the small stuff. If it's not in your face and ready to go, just walk away and forget it. There are more important things to worry about than what someone else chooses to do with their ignorance b/c they can't think for themselves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back