The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Does this machining cost breakdown seem ridiculously high?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MReardon209

Probationary Member
May 22, 2021
Albany, Oregon
Just got the invoice back and I'm about ready to go pick up the motor (46g4 had low compression prior to sending it in) and the labor total was 3300$. That is over double what I was expecting.

Attached is the invoice.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, "one thing" looks outrageously high, but you had more than just "engine machine work" done.

It looks like they replaced the crankshaft, bought bearings for you, machined the flywheel, assembled the engine etc., etc.

The only two things I would be concerned about is that 1) They ground the crank? That's a no-no with stock Mitsu cranks. And, 2) Unless I'm misreading something, it looks like they charged you twice to disassemble the short block.

The picture is both sideways, and hard to read the writing.

Agree. "Strip short block" and "disassemble short" is confusing. I'd ask about that. Unless "strip" means they chemically stripped it of paint, rust, gunk, etc. Also seems odd to me that they didn't magnaflux the block, but I'm not a machinist.

They charged you $50 to remove the pilot bushing in the crank? And $220 twice to “disassemble” short block? $500 to assemble the short block and set ring gaps?

I’m in the wrong business. They raked you over the coals, man.

So im in this as we speak. 925 to machine and assemble the short block. I tore down the block and rough clean. I supplied a rotating assembly from FFWD (3200 dollars) which included bearings and rings. Also provided a kiggly girdle arp main bolts, arp head bolts,freeze plugs and a torque plate since they did not have one. So im in at roughly 4,400. Now if I had stayed with the jay raining maincaps( 300) then a estimated additional 1,500 in machine work. So I backed out and went with the original main caps.

I saw what the others saw and I also wondered why they didn't do Item #33, Straighten and Hardness Test. :hmm:
I can tell I am not charging NEAR enough for the work I do (but I consider it fun,.... most of the time).
I would triple check the step height of the flywheel also, it appears they didn't surface the step according to the invoice.
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back