The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil pan dent [Merged 3-9] bent dented sump oilpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSTsoon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
B'ham_Alabama
Well i dont think its normal....pretty sure its not, but theres a dime size dent right by the drain bolt on the oil pan....and its leaking. Is there any way of fixing this with some jb weld or some shit or do i have to buy a whole new pan? thanks.

Originally posted by Colossus
Couldnt it affect the ability of the oil pump to suck up some oil? Im not sure how far in it is though...I know my friend had a dented oil pan in his H22 going into his car...it always read low oil pressure b/c the dent blocked in that funnelish thing that sucks up the oil

well i did notice that the gauge drops to Low a lot of times, i've always checked the oil level and it looked good. I couldn't find any leaks. Maybe this dent is causing that. Anyone know how big of a dent would this put in my wallet.

Originally posted by Colossus
Couldnt it affect the ability of the oil pump to suck up some oil?

Yes it can. My 93 GSX had a nice dent in the pan and while the oil pressure wasn't too low, it was a bit. It came up quite a bit when I had the dent pulled out.

Bryan

Here are a couple of pics of the car I just bought. Anyways, trying to keep costs down until I can verify that this car will run and has nothing else wrong. I picked it up real cheap with apparently a blown headgasket. I got the head off in about 2 hours but saw a big dent in the oil pan. I would like some opinions as too if I may be able to get by without replacing it at the moment. Just trying to see if this motor is any good and then I can come back and fix the rest. It's a bad pic, let me know.
Also, instead of removing the balance shaft belt, can I just cut it and remove it?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It doesn't look that bad. I wouldn't have a headache over it. If you really want to fix it, you can hammer it back out. But when your putting the oil pan back on, make sure you have some gaskets ready cause its most likely going to leak.

Yes.. replace or hammer back down.. This will cause a loss of oil pressure since the oil pickup is directly above that.

James

I was hoping I could get by with it, I read with AWDs, the transfer case has to come down. That and sealing the oil pan up could be a pain.
Okay, it there really any disadvantages to removing the balance shaft belt? Some guy told me it would wear out the main bearings?

Replace that thing. When I dented the oil pan in my Impreza, partially blocked off oil flow to the pickup line and I blew my engine up and bent two connecting rods. Replace it and check the p/u lines. Better safe than sorry :talon:

I'de run it a litle bit and see how it goes. I've had a decent dent in my oil pan for over 2 years now with no problems.

Thanks guys, I decided to leave it alone and to see if this thing will run right. If it runs good, I will go back and fix the few things I left off.

I wouldn't worry about it, my friends GST's oilpan was like that since he got it, no problems.

If the car is already down due to a blown headgasket just go ahead and pull the oil pan hammer the dent out and replace the oil pan gasket. Better safe than sorry and since the car is already down it's not like it's that much extra work.

While working on my car I noticed the bottom of the oil pan was pushed/dented up into the pan. I'm guessing it happened when I bottomed the car out while coming up a steep hill/apex out of a parking lot during the fall.
Will this be an issue or do I not need worry about it. It's not leaking oil at all.

how deep is the dent? it should be fine. mine has a dent and I'm assuming that's the same with about 90% of the people on this board. usually it's caused by supporting the engine with a jack during a timing belt change without using a block of wood.

RamenPride said:
how deep is the dent? it should be fine. mine has a dent and I'm assuming that's the same with about 90% of the people on this board. usually it's caused by supporting the engine with a jack during a timing belt change without using a block of wood.

it's quite big around, pretty well the entire width of the bottom of the pan, not horribly deap, I couldn't tell you exactly off the top of my head how deap exactly it is though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back