The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Does the Mighty Max 2.4L Engine bolt up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt Eagle

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2014
San Clemente, California
Does a 91 mighty max 2.4 L automatic block bolt up to the n/t 1G 4g63 6 bolt head and transmission? Trying to rebuild the mighty max engine and bolt up for a stroker.

As long as the two bottom bell housing bolts are 12.5 from each other "narrowblock" it should bolt to your trans. If its the wideblock 13.25 inches apart then no it wont bolt up to the trans.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This picture is a wideblock from my shed 13.25 both of them. G54b on the left, G64b on the right

Attachments

• backside.JPG
    backside.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 580
One day id like to do the 4g swab in my starion. Just so im understanding the OP, you are trying to put a doch head on the original mighty max block? If you are why not just use the same transmission? A dsm transmission wont work for a RWD set up. At least to my knowledge.

I think he is trying to do what I did in my dirt track car, I used a 2.4 4G64 from a 94-96 (i think) galant and put the DOHC from my 4G63 on it. Gives you more torque and more compression and is a cheap way to get more power. the only real problems is there is no front motor mount, but I've ran only a rear mount for years with no problem, when you build the motor you have to plug some oil galleys. MUST USE ARP HEAD STUDS OR BOLTS. really a pretty easy build

g to do what I did in my dirt track car, I used a 2.4 4G64 from a 94-96 (i think) galant and put the DOHC from my 4G63 on it. Gives you more torque and more compression and is a cheap way to get more power. the only real problems is there is no front motor mount, but I've ran only a rear mount for years with no problem, when you build the motor you have to plug some oil galleys. MUST USE ARP HEAD STUDS OR BOLTS. really a pretty easy build
YES!! Finally found 2 engines that will work. The mighty max wont but i found a summit and a galant both with the same engine so ill pick the better of the 2!! So excited! do you know anything about the sumit?

One day id like to do the 4g swab in my starion. Just so im understanding the OP, you are trying to put a doch head on the original mighty max block? If you are why not just use the same transmission? A dsm transmission wont work for a RWD set up. At least to my knowledge.
Exactly like nehring said its a cheap stroker build

Like others have mentioned, you should be looking for the narrow (or trans-mounted as opposed to RWD) 4g64 blocks... I have already swapped in a 4g64 into my 1g AWD AT Talon. Everything bolted up, including all motor mounts, with exception to the rear intake manifold brace & timing cover.

I sourced my 4g64 from a 92 Eagle Summit... you can find the same 6bolt 4g64 motors in 90-95 Summits, Expo, & Colt Vista Wagons. The 95.5+ cars are just like our 2g DSMs that went to a 7-bolt design then (these all have 3 transmission mounts & 1 motor mount, unlike our 1g platform that uses 3 motor mounts & 1 transmission mount). So basically, if you are hunting a 4g64 for a 1g swap, look for a 6-bolt to mate better into your 1g chassis... it was quite literally a bolt-in affair in my case.

Also, the 6-bolt 4g64 uses 5 large main caps, unlike our 4g63's that bridge 1&2 and 4&5 caps together. Other than that, the two motors are nearly identical, except for the increased deck height & OEM bore of 86.5mm.

I don't know where the idea of this being a "Cheap Stroker" came from though... Since the 4g64 block was originally a SOHC, you will not be able to use the stock pistons because you will need pistons with 4 valve reliefs in order to run a DOHC 4g63 head. -So you're at least into a set of pistons for sure... Might as well get some better rods in there while you're at it, IMHO.

Good luck with your project. I went with a 1989 Mighty Max that I am using for an early 6 bolt swap next year. It is the narrow block 2.0 g63b with the KM 132 transmission.

Going to source an early 2.0 narrow block 4g63T and do the swap where it moves the engine up almost 2 inches.

Also have an 88 Mighty Max with the 2.6 and am just trying to decide what I will do with it before it becomes a parts truck. Josh

I would agree that the summit motor would be much more of a bolt in than the gallant 7 bolt, but they are much harder to find...I had to drill and retap the head bolts in the block to run the 12mm? head studs and block off some of the oil passages...I would also suggest eliminating the balance shafts if you plan on running around 7000 rpm, I had a bearing failure during a race once

Just wanted to update the thread! Finally doing the build! Used a 90 hyundai sonata 2.4. The 6 bolt!! So pumped... at the shop now getting cleaned up. Running 9-1 wiesco, with h beam eagles, stock crank! Ill try and post a build thread if I have time!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back