The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

does the BIG28 lack when it comes to top end?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted97GS-T

20+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2002
Louisiana
i've got the big28 and it just seems that the top end on my car is non existant. from like 70mph on up it just doesnt pull. i'm pretty sure that it is because of my stock injectors and stock smic, but i kinda expected more. also it just seems to be running rich even at 17psi i have to lean it out some
i just wanted to check to see if anyone else felt the same way about theres? i kinda wish i would have waited for something bigger :(

btw i ran 14.80@99mph just last week (60ft sucked):mad:

Your problem a 70+ is definitley a heatsoaked IC. You don't feel any pull becuase the air-charge is just to hot. Get a big FMIC and feel the extra pull. Depending on what your goals are that turbo can be big enough.

Later,

Bro, you need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump. Im running a Big16 with 550's, walbro 255 pump, s-afc,etc... and the car pulls no prob past redline.. 18lbs (creeps to 20) ....that being said, i know i will have to get a FMIC as my next mod.... with the bigger injectors, pump, etc though.. you should have the problem at 70mph

Claud did you rewire the upgraded pump or did you leave factory wiring?
Im getting my 255 walboro pump and I was usure about having to rewire using 10 ga or whatever.
Thanks.

i have a rewired 3kgt pump. and like i said i'm having to lean it out even at 17psi. i'm planning on getting some 550s in a few weeks but i just dont see the point if i have to already lean out my 450s. now i know if i get a fmic i will have to get 550s for sure

We left the wiring intact for now...
Boosted.. what FMIC are you looking into getting?

I wouldn't do the rewire if I was you personally. I had 550's and a 255HP pump and was just fine. Duty cycle was around 87%. My car pulls till redline and then some, especially from a 60 punch in 3rd ...don't shift out of there till around 95-100 into 4th. It seems that I am in 3rd forever, but its still pulling hard :) I can't wait to see what the Green does.

I didn't do the re-wire and my fuel delivery is also fine all the way to redline.

Later,

Originally posted by Boosted97GS-T
i've got the big28 and it just seems that the top end on my car is non existant. from like 70mph on up it just doesnt pull. i'm pretty sure that it is because of my stock injectors and stock smic, but i kinda expected more. also it just seems to be running rich even at 17psi i have to lean it out some
i just wanted to check to see if anyone else felt the same way about theres? i kinda wish i would have waited for something bigger :(

btw i ran 14.80@99mph just last week (60ft sucked):mad:
I'm in the same boat as you dude. I know what you mean. The weather is just so damn hot right now especially without 550's and a fmic. Your timing is probably being pulled, like mine. Can you say heat soak city.

Serioulsy it's over 100 degrees on AZ. Without a FMIC my power would be rock bottom in the summer.

Later,

Originally posted by MuttedTSiAWD
Serioulsy it's over 100 degrees on AZ. Without a FMIC my power would be rock bottom in the summer.

Later,
I hear ya brother.

im telling you from personal experience when I first installed my Big28 I took it out the first night with the 450s and stock fuel pump in the car and I was majorly disapointed.. the car held boost till redline but felt like it was barely faster then it was when I had the T25 cranked up.. the next day when I put on the 550s and 3kGT pump and leaned it out ALOT like 25% across the band the car hauled ass..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back