The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Does stroker need tuned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No throw it in, but your car should have tuning tools, wideband, logger, link a way to see whats going on, its just pistons and a crank.

In your profile it says you want, or are getting link in the future...So if that's the plan, and a stroker is also the plan..Shouldn't the answer be yes...

Even a stock engine is tuned from the factory..And just adding link and tuning will make sure you get the most bang for your buck..

It would be beneficial to get your car tuned when changing anything in your setup. Depending on your other mods, you can get away with not tuning it. The cars computer can compensate a little bit.

If you still have a maf and the stock computer, then no the car doesn't need to be tuned the car will do what it needs to do to maintain the proper ratios. Now if you want to get the most from your motor then I would say yes you need to get the motor tuned, you could possibly get better drive ability out of it, better spool up, and better gas mileage.

Ok. Im just curious because i may be able to put together a stroker before i get my current engine setup done. If i can get a stroker in there it will be no more than 2 months before i get a wideband and ecmlink and start on sd. Just trying to decide if i should finish this build or finish the stroker build first. Stroker would be faster and cheaper to get going first. Thanks guys!

Honestly with the price of stroker I would get the tunning and wideband before putting it in, just that peice of mind you know?

When I built my 2.3 the only thing I changed when tuning it with ECMlink was the timing map. The stock 1g timing map is very aggressive and I was getting knock in the higher RPMs. You may be okay though. I went with 8.8:1 pistons and a shaved head. If you don't have a logger to see what's going on, I would NOT run it above 5,000 RPMs until you get link to see what's going on. Every engine is different though.

When I built my 2.3 the only thing I changed when tuning it with ECMlink was the timing map. The stock 1g timing map is very aggressive and I was getting knock in the higher RPMs. You may be okay though. I went with 8.8:1 pistons and a shaved head. If you don't have a logger to see what's going on, I would NOT run it above 5,000 RPMs until you get link to see what's going on. Every engine is different though.

totally agree, same thing i was gonna say. maf will take care of a/f but the timing is the main concern with a 2.3

I definately agree with you guys, and if it does happen i'll try and keep my foot out of it :D

airmail you have a good point. But I think you missed that the stroker is already there so my cost for it = $0.00 If I was spending money on it then i'd just spend the money on finishing my 2.0 build.

My question is why is the title to this thread in the Ohio Valley Dialect, while the text of the first post is in Queen's English?

wht about if i build a stroker motor 2.3 and i dont tune it
will i be safe breaking in this motor ? on a stock tune ??

thnks

Yes, because the maf will account for the increased air. Only difference is the airflow per revolution which=load and that might cause timing issues under higher load, but for break in, it'll be fine.

i read somewhere on this forum this

"Running 9:1, on a stroker, with pumpgas, will have you running no timing at all. "

is that true ?
because im bulding stroker motor with manley 9;1 pistons right now ??

help me guys

What do you mean no timing at all?

Like already said if you're running stock MAF and ECU, then it will be alright. The ECU will compensate SOME timing and air/fuel adjustments, so naturally at higher rpm's it will need more adjustments than the stock ecu will be able to do.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, just searching. So do at your own risk. If you're going stroker you should be planning on more time, money, searching, and tons more parts.

i know a lot about 2.3 stroker engine
but i was searching some more and i found this

Running 9:1, on a stroker, with pumpgas, will have you running no timing at all.

so i was just wondering if this is true. because ill be running 9:1 pistons on my stroker

i know i shouldnt go over 5k without tuning with stroker cause of the timing
but will i be okay running 9:1 with pumpgas ? without tunning when ill be breaking in the engine ?

because i will tune it after i break in the engine

Your mod list lists "auto meter boost gauge --* auto meter A/F gauge --* ECUflash --* Evoscan"

So start logging and find out. I dont know why youd have to ask and get a general answer with what you have listed.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about starting without a tune. Just make sure your wideband is working and watch it closely during break in. And start tuning very soon afterwards. That's just me. If it's running way too lean on startup and first drive then get to tuning really quick. Find an ok base tune after you get the rings set, and keep making adjustments from there.

I have a 2.3L on my car and with Meth inj and at 40psi of boost I can run at 19deg of timing up top with no knock. AFR is around 11.5. When I was breaking in the engine I run the car hard at 20psi(just off the w/g) on stock 2g timing maps (16deg) and afr in the mid 11s.

I have a 2.3L on my car and with Meth inj and at 40psi of boost I can run at 19deg of timing up top with no knock. AFR is around 11.5. When I was breaking in the engine I run the car hard at 20psi(just off the w/g) on stock 2g timing maps (16deg) and afr in the mid 11s.

oh okay

what kind of compression ratio do you have ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back