The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Does seafoam helps our car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanGST

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2010
Bronx, New_York
I was going to put a couple of bottles of seafoam but some people never heard of it n doesn't know if it will hurt the engine in the long run. Has anybody ever used it on their car.

never used it personally but, it says that you can use it in 2 cycle and diesel engines as well and 4 cycle engines carb and FI so i dont know if i would wanna be the test specimen on this subject it is up to you just google adding seafoam to a car and read some threads on the subject before you decide to do it.

Seafoam is good in your fuel tank to help clear and clean up your fuel system. If you put little amounts of it in your brake booster vacuum line, it will clear up all the build up on your pistons but your car will smoke for a little bit while it burns all that crap out. Don't pour too much at a time into your vacuum though because it can cause the motor to kill.

I have used it before and i think there are other threads about this if you search it but basically just suck it up through a vacuum line and shut your car off. let it sit for a couple minutes and start it up when you do all the carbon built up in your engine will come out as white/grey smoke and if you take it for a drive you'll have a sweet smokescreen. :thumb: it can help clear up a rough idle too i would recommend giving it a try especially on a older motor but like previously said make sure you don't use to much. just dip the vacuum line in and out of the can until about a third of the can is gone.

What i do, is from the Bov line, I suck about 60% out, but you have to have someone keep your car idling, then 20 % in oil 20% in the tank, let her sit for about 20 mins, then really beat the piss out of it. I do it about once every 4 months.

I personally use Seafoam in my Oil once every 4 Oil Changes. And run it through the Fuel System about once every 4-6 Months depending on how much the vehicle has been driven. It's petroleum based so it won't harm your gaskets or you O2 sensor. I've even used it on multiple older DSM's to help improve performance and to aid in passing Emissions.

In my opinion, its one of the products that seems to good to be true. But lucky for us it really does work. :thumb:

The above post is mostly correct.

Here's what you do.

New Plugs - BPR6ES NGK plugs - Do NOT install yet
New Oil
New Oil Filter
Seafoam - 1 Can

1 : Start the car, put your finger on the throttle plate and raise the idle of the engine a slight bit. Place a vacuum line from your TB into the can and suck up half of it's contents while keeping the idle high so the engine doesn't die. (This will NOT harm your engine in any way). Once half of the can is gone, let the engine die.
2 : Remove the spark plugs and pour 2 cap-fulls into each cylinder. Replace said sparkplugs
3 : Pour 20% into the oil
4 : Pour the remaining into the fuel.
5 : Let the car sit for about 10-15 minutes.
6 : Start your car. It may take a moment, but keep in mind there is now combustible fluid on your pistons.
7 : Keep the idle up. Your car will begin smoking. Depending on the amount of buildup it may be a little to a full blown 007 smoke screen in amount.
8 : Quickly drive your car, driving it as hard as you can (within legal means, of course) until the engine stops smoking.
9 : Return home and change your oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. (Plugs will be terrible looking)
10 : Put in new fluid and plugs, start your engine, and enjoy the power that has been returned.

This is also a WONDERFUL way to see if you have any exhaust leaks.

Everyone has their technique. I find putting Seafoam or MCC in the chamber and letting it sit over night works good, then use a mityvac to suck it back up.
I've bypassed this step as it is time consuming and I don't think anymore effective then actually burning it in the combustion chamber. It has a distinct advantage in that it can hit all 4 cylinders, where the thru the BOV you will not be drawing much if any Seafoam thru cylinders 1 & 2. This is why I always recommend running 1/2 bottle thru the PCV vacuum hose, then 1/2 bottle thru the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. This'll hit all 4 cylinders. You can do pre and post compression & leak down tests to verify if you've effectively hit all cylinders and eliminated carbon build up on the intake/exhaust valves.

I would just like to add, if your gonna do your fuel tank, get it low first, as close to the fuel light coming on as possible, take the seafoam and a funnel with you to the gas station, and pour in the seafoam first, then fill fuel about 95% full, just enough room to let it slosh around good.

Now take it through a few bendys to mix that seafoam into the gasoline nice and good.

I have used seafoam on every vehicle I have purchased, and usually again in 6 months or so. Never put it in the oil though, rather wary about adding anything to oil.

I used it to clean the fuel system when I bought the car.

When the car was about at a 1/4 tank, I put a can in and ran it for about 50 miles or so. This allows a higher concentration of the stuff to run through the lines and injectors. Then I filled up, and ran a tank to almost empty. Since I've done that, my injectors "sound" cleaner.

Seafoam is the greatest stuff on earth. In another 1000 miles or so, I'll probably do a little in the spark plug holes to try and break up some of the carbon, although I'm currently doing an engine flush every other oil change.

just ran it through my car and yes I got the 007 smoke screen for a good 10-15 miles however the difference I felt was impressive still need to change the plugs and oil for it soon but after I did it I looked at my Wideband noticed the cars idle wasn't bouncing up and down I went from my car randomly bouncing and surging at 14.6:1-15.2:1 to steadily running at 14.8:1-15:1, this is with 143K miles OEM ECU no EPROM and stock injectors

mind you though that while it's going through if you watch your AFR's like me your Wideband will say it's running at like 12.5-13.5 under normal cruising if you can't punch it but after you see the smoke start to clear your AFR will also go back to normal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back