The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Does revving when doing a launch hurt anything in the drivetrain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
Say you got the clutch down and are up to 5k rpm doing a launch. While you got the clutch down and the rpms are up is this hurting anything on the car like the clutch? I have a act 2600 6 puck clutch that the previous owner put in supposedly and a shep stage 2 transmission.

You would also would know if it's not disengaging because at high revs the car will start to creep forward.

You would also would know if it's not disengaging because at high revs the car will start to creep forward.
So basically hold the clutch all the way down and dump it when you're ready to launch? Kinda unrelated but with automatics can we not implement the same launch control they have on a GTR where you can build boost by pressing on the brake because with brake boosting it's engaged but with a GTR launch mode it's disengaged like a manual is when you got the clutch down? That would make me want to own an automatic if it had that kinda launch control over my 5 speed

So basically hold the clutch all the way down and dump it when you're ready to launch? Kinda unrelated but with automatics can we not implement the same launch control they have on a GTR where you can build boost by pressing on the brake because with brake boosting it's engaged but with a GTR launch mode it's disengaged like a manual is when you got the clutch down? That would make me want to own an automatic if it had that kinda launch control over my 5 speed
Oh hell no. You dump the clutch and you're on your way to a crappy launch or breaking parts or both. It's a finesse job of release and gas.
I see you've been around awhile. You might want to check out some of the faqs anyway. You can build boost in a 5 spd it just isn't "brake boosting". 2 steps have been around forever. I couldn't see your profile so I don't know what you have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back