The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Does it need rebuilt? MHI Evo 3 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanley talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2005
Spencer, Indiana
Well i bought this MHI EVO 3 turbo cheap today. I was told it worked great and boosted great. But i noticed a few chips in the blades here and there and need some help deciding what to do next. Please look at my photo's.

Compressor wheel

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Turbine wheel.

20140531_202034-jpg.226109

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-31_21-8-50.png
    upload_2014-5-31_21-8-50.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 83
Definitely ate something...What is the shaft play like? If the shaft play is acceptable and there doesn't seem to be any other physical damage I'd try it and see what it sounds like.

I had bent some fins on my 14b and afterwards it honestly sounded like someone was blowing on a kazoo when I hit boost. It went from having no shaft play to a ton of slop in a couple weeks. Probably due to the in-balance.

If you do run it, definitely keep an eye on the shaft play cause you don't want that wheel hitting the cover and sending tasty metal treats into your engine.

The shaft play seems normal. It has a little side to side. But it appears to be missing a freeze plug also? I am not sure i can buy one or not?

Needs a new compressor wheel for sure. Rebuild kits are affordable and easy to do. There are a few write ups and videos that help a ton.

Those are oil, and coolant lines. These are just pipes that are held in by a bolt and two crush washers, if you don't have any I'm sure you can pick some up from Miller Imports for fairly cheap. No big deal, but as for the wheel it looks almost as if something ate it.. did this come off of a blown engine?

Well I didnt ask. I got two of them. One is a knock off.

Also there are no threads in that whole. It is for sure water.
I am almost certain it takes a freeze plug. Where can I buy a good quality turbine wheel and shaft and compressor wheel? I am willing to spend some money to make this thing work.

I would PM Justin here on the Forums, he does good work. Also that hole on the right is an oil or water line, and the left side stays capped just as is.

PM JusMx he should be able to help you out.

Check out Trader Greg for some parts. I bought a turbine wheel and few rebuild kits. I was very happy with quality

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back