1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Does anyone write checks anymore?

Posted by RallyEclipse98, Dec 26, 2010

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. RallyEclipse98

RallyEclipse98 Proven Member

Joined Jul 31, 2007
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have no need to write checks currently, so I am considering going to a Bill Pay checking account (debit card, but no check writing privileges). Is this a wise idea? Do you ever write checks anymore? This will give me an idea of if I should forgo future check writing privileges. Thanks.

2. GSXSixteenG

GSXSixteenG Proven Member

Joined Jun 29, 2007
    Buffalo, New York
    I only write checks to pay rent and that's it. Not sure what else you would need it for, but you could always get money orders or cashiers checks for that.

640  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  3. jgoble32

jgoble32 Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2010
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Same here checks i use our for rent only card for everything else

4. rbwtrans

rbwtrans Proven Member

Joined Sep 3, 2006
    pensacola, Florida
    Only the guy in front of me at the convenience store when I'm in a hurry. LOL

Only for rent. Everythings electronic now. I'm using the same 50 count checkbook for over a year now.

5. TeamFury

TeamFury Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Raeford, North Carolina
    Ya not big on checks anymore, much simpler solutions like banking on line with allotments

Drag Race Build 4K  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.26 @ 147 · 1G DSM
  6. RallyEclipse98

Joined Jul 31, 2007
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I asked my sister and she said she only uses checks for rent as well. I will check with my credit union and see if they charge for cashier's checks. I'm 99% sure they don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  7. TSI from Hell

TSI from Hell Proven Member

Joined Jul 30, 2008
    Bathurst, NB, Canada
    I mean, if you're really sure you won't need'em then I guess it's fine. Think about the last time you had to write a check, could you have used plastic instead? You're probably fine without them imo.

293  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  8. brownfinger

brownfinger Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2008
    Normal, Illinois
    I write checks. Part out of habit, and part because I run my own business: A check is also a reciept.

Street Build 786  0

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

678  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. dsmtun3r98gst

dsmtun3r98gst Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2008
    Westminster, California
    Hahah LOL yeah there are still people writing checks LOL(trust me I know cus I work at AutoZone). but most of them are just simply moving on to debit cards. Funny thing is that alot of older people with debit cards don't even know how to use them and it makes you wonder how they got it in the first place LOL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Have you guys noticed the penalty for returning things that are bought with a check??? its like a $25 charge for doing so OMG

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  10. sag1441

sag1441 Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2004
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    rent, some bills, DMV, post office

11. MichaelSuch

MichaelSuch Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Pinckneyville, Illinois
    I still write checks for almost everything unless I decide to use my credit card. The only reason is because I haven't had time to get a debit card application, sucks when your bank is in a different town than where you work LOL

477  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  7

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.146 @ 134.81 · 2G DSM
  12. tazndrew04

tazndrew04 Proven Member

Joined Sep 3, 2009
    Omaha, Nebraska
    ya i only write checks when i pay for rent or a couple bills and maybe the dmv but thats it

471  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. Colt4G63 also

Colt4G63 also Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2008
    Tonawanda, New York
    +1 for that answer, but my book of 300 checks lasts me a few years lately.

Street Build 2K  0

1990 Dodge Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  14. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2004
    West Warwick, Rhode Island
    Better question is, whose Bill Pay system will you be using?

798  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  15. -TunedDSM-

-TunedDSM- Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2006
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Rent and security deposits are the only checks I write. I like my rewards on my debit card :)

446  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  16. gusu

gusu Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2009
    Keizer, Oregon
    I've never had to write one and never will. I don't want to have a book of checks for someone to steal and having to go through the hassle of calling the bank. I also don't sign my debit card so either way it would be someone elsez fault and not mine. I have a aunt who has stolen lots of check books from my family so I've never had the desire to use them. If they won't take debit for rent I guess they aren't in the business of making money so they can either get up with times or not get their money.

17. 907gs-t

907gs-t Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2009
    Juneau, Alaska
    I still write checks once in a while.

1K  0

11.899 @ 126.000 · 2G DSM
  18. LeosTalon

LeosTalon Probationary Member

Joined Aug 16, 2010
    SoCal, California
    Checks are good to keep track of every penny you spend. Then again you can always save receipts when using a credit/debit card.

Simple.
    Checks... slow
    Card... fast

155  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  19. dalesmitsu

dalesmitsu Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2006
    North Canton, Ohio
    Not really true, My mother has me help her with checking she does both. Herecheck.debit is what she uses the most and some places she use it takes same amount of time as paper checks. But then again she goes through hell with pnc she hates them.

Actually pay everything through online like utilities can save you money each month also, instead of calling using plastic. My mother has saved quite abit doing this way.

At times its gets annoying helping her out because when there's error or something she yells at me but she was the one who made the mistake. I just look it over double check everything.
    I've thought about going to school for this stuff, become a banker or a accountant?

Street Build 578  4

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  20. EDM95

EDM95 Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2007
    amarillo, Texas
    Write checks? Did you know they got electronic checks now? You can keep track of that online with the bank you got the card with, it will show you what you spent where you spent it etc. The only bill I pay with cash is my car payment all the other bills I have them take it out of my checking account when they are due.

682  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  21. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Older generation- still writes checks. Many of the customers who come into my workplace are old-fashioned and write checks. The younger generation will use a Debit card for mostly anything.....like the doosh the other week who Debited a fuse. ONE fuse- 69 cents....and I had to run his Debit card and wait while he punched in his PIN. I wanted to punch the guy in his nadsack and tell him to go look under the seat of his f*cking car- he'd probably find the change there, as well as one of the fuses he's looking for.

For me- large purchases and ALL gasoline transactions are done on a credit card. Any purchase below $100 and all restaurant purchases are done with cash.

3K  0

manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. david-b

david-b Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, Illinois
    Checks only for rent and larger business-related items. I like having the paperwork from the checks to file and keep for tax-related stuff. Just good to have the hard copies around I guess.

23. RallyEclipse98

Joined Jul 31, 2007
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    https://www.fnbodirect.com/01d/html/en/

I was thinking of trying that bank. Recommended by Kiplinger and when I have contacted them they have been great with answering my questions.

The downside is they do not have many ATM's in my area so I would have to pay the $2.50 for a foreign transaction. However, I'm not too worried because most places will give me cash back after my purchase if I do need cash. Also, I may need checks in the future so that concerns me a little. What really got me is 1.10% APY and online billpay.