The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Does anyone use their car for therapeutical purposes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostaddictgsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey all,

I have been wondering if anyone uses their car to help relieve stress or just to get away from things. I know there are people on here that do the opposite, but I'm going through a rough time emotionally lately. I have been thinking about getting a project car or an AWD shell once I find a job, and if I am relaxed when I start a project, as long as I love what I'm doing, I will remain relaxed throughout the project. I figure my project should be a DSM, because that is what I truely love, and I don't want to turn to drugs or anything like some of my old friends. Is there anyone out there who does works on a project(car) to get rid of stress, or has having a project(car) helped you get over something major in your life?

Thanks in advance,
Brendon

I enjoy working on my car, even if something is broken. It is kinda therapudic for me, as it gives me a chance to get away for a little while and forget the pressures of life and what-not.

Working on it can create more stress for me in some instances although it can still be a way to get away from daily stress.

As a stress reliever, i usually take the car out late at night w/ a few mellow cds and a few heavy cds and just cruise down the highway for an hour or so. It really puts me at peice w/ everything going on in my life. My routine is to throw the heavy cds in first and get some of the stress out, then after im cooled down, put in the mellow cds, throw it in 5th and just cruise at 60mph down the interstate. Does wonders.

working on the car [ either modding or fixing ] usually calms my stress. also produces stress at times too. but that's easily remedied with a large wrench across the garage ;)

on those particular stressful summer nights, I take her out with all the windows down and cruise for a while til i calm down. nothing like hearing the turbo spool :)

Working on my car by myself when a mechanic couldnt even get it working was kinda like my escape from reality. I love working on the car and it showed when I finally got it running a few months after towing it home. Many cold nights working on the car kept me out of trouble.... only downfall is now since its all snowy and crap, I cant work on it. It runs well, but I have so much still to do. My escape right now is sitting back listening to music on the comp. Cant wait for the summer to come. :laugh:

I have to agree with everyone here about wrenching on my car. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to do/learn more things about my car. I just got done pulling my 7 bolt last night and I'm getting ready to swap a 6 bolt in. Good times. :thumb:

Fixing and working on the car can be fun and I do enjoy it under the right conditions.

But mostly, its a means to the end - my therapy comes from driving the car. Usually swiftly. Whenever I have pent up stress or need to blow off some steam, I go for a drive. It's just what I do. I always feel better when I get home. :D

boostaddictgsx said:
Hey all,

I have been wondering if anyone uses their car to help relieve stress or just to get away from things.
I love to drive. In psychological terms, this may be referred to as "nomadism".

However, people whose sigpics resemble the renderings of mentally-deficient psychotics may not gain as much relief from the activity. For these individuals, artwork as a release is highly discouraged.

when my dad passed away i kinda locked myself in the garage and built my dsm.. pos still isnt running correctly a year later but.. oh well.. i went from stress release to F***ING ANNOYING!!! but ya have to love the look on a vette owners face when he cant keep up..

But mostly, its a means to the end - my therapy comes from driving the car.

:thumb:

you know when i'm trying to relieve stress because i'm doing some spirited driving..... i guess you can say i stress every day then, heh.

Sorry to hear about the bad times in your life. I understand how it feels cause I feel the same way sometimes.

Having a car is a great thing to have when your down. It gives you a release and it helps keep your mind off the things in your life you don't want to be stressing about. Although a broken car can sometimes cause more stress it still feels GREAT when you get it fixed.

I definately use my car to get over things or relieve stress. Even though it isn't a substitute for what might be getting you down it still helps tremendously.

Nothing beats crusing down the freeway with the sunroof open (the heat on full blast :cool: ) just listening to some good music, flowing along.....I don't think anything else can relieve my stress as well as that can.

I don't know how many times if been on my way home just trying to relax after a rough day (my job is pretty physical) and some one will pull next to me looking to start something. after I take him out and make an example of him I feel so much better. my car is definetly a stress reliver.

THE ONLY things in the world that can make you feel "That way" is either a girl or a fast car. The only thing that can calm me down or make me feel better about my life is my car or my girlfriend. I can sit around and wish I was dead, but hitting full boost and taking her through the gears instanly makes me feel better about who I am.

Definately. There are times when nothing cheers me up like a good drive. I am lucky that I have two good therapeutic cars to relieve stress with.

dangan said:
THE ONLY things in the world that can make you feel "That way" is either a girl or a fast car. ...hitting full boost and taking her through the gears instanly makes me feel better about who I am.

Yeah, I will take her through the gears all right.

Wait, are we talking about cars here? :p

Yeah, baby, I've got your forced induction right here.. How you like that spool up time, huh? Yeah :dsm: :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back