The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Does anyone really know how to do a b.s???????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concept4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2010
Queens, New_York
Ive looked everywhere! Nothing on the forums, books, youtube, friends. Nothinggg. I changed my tbelt and also the b.s belt(timimg belt B) but I dont seem to know if its aliged correctly. Everything and everyone says just align it. But how can I because it can either be aligned correctly or aligned wrong. Does anyone really know how to do this. Its not like I can check if its the right way by inserting a screwdriver like the other sprocket, this one has nothing to check with. Please helpppppppppp!

The front sprocket has that dimple next to the end of the one tooth and there is an arrow marking cast in the aluminum about in the "10:00" position.

Align those two up with the crank and oil pump sprocket at their respective marks along with the cam marks all dead on with No.1 at TDC.

[That vfaq still doesnt explain specifically how to align it! Theres no dimple on the sprocket either just the arrow that shows where to line it up. But it could either be wrong or right. I have pictures but dont know to post them on my phone. Someone please help. There has to be a way. Theres no other marks or dimples, just the arrow

not sure what the problem is..... if you've got the arrow on the gear of the front balance shaft pointed at the timing mark then you're set. the only reason why the rear needs to be checked is because it runs off the oil pump and spins at a faster rate than the crank (or something like that). i'm not sure if this is what you're talking about.

Yra that part I understand, but lets say for example. I sping the sprocket again to align it, the timing mark will be aligbed again BUT then the balance shaft will be the wrong way or right way. Remember on a balance shaft theres all the weight on one side. Thats what I want to know whats the right way because itll always show up aligned with the marks but inside the b.s can be wrong :"(

Also remember pretend its the oil sprocket. If thats alifned as well it can still be wrong until you opep the screw on the block and insert a screw driver or something, then if its wrong you Turn it to line it up again till you can insert the screwdriver. The one im having problems with doeant have anywhere to check like the oil sprocket

problem can be solved by eliminating the shafts :)

seriously though, are you worried about the front shaft or the rear shaft? for the front shaft the arrow points to the notch, crank aligned with the notch, and put the belt on. tighten balance shaft tensioner pulley. done. the front shaft cannot be out of phase unless the arrow's pointing 180 degrees from where it should be. the timing mark on the rear balance shaft and all the timing marks once set will only line up something like every 6 revolutions.

Yra that part I understand, but lets say for example. I sping the sprocket again to align it, the timing mark will be aligbed again BUT then the balance shaft will be the wrong way or right way. Remember on a balance shaft theres all the weight on one side. Thats what I want to know whats the right way because itll always show up aligned with the marks but inside the b.s can be wrong :"(

Also remember pretend its the oil sprocket. If thats alifned as well it can still be wrong until you opep the screw on the block and insert a screw driver or something, then if its wrong you Turn it to line it up again till you can insert the screwdriver. The one im having problems with doeant have anywhere to check like the oil sprocket

The front balance shaft can only be one way. It is bolted directly to the sprocket shown in the diagram 99gst_racer posted, so line up those marks and that one is golden. The sprocket is the female end of what I guess could be considered a key way or slot; the balance shaft is round with a flat face that mates perfectly with the sprocket. I'll draw a picture shortly and edit so you can see what I mean. Again, it can only go one way and once the marks are lined up, it is correct.

The oil pump sprocket is geared to the rear balance shaft so it is done independently of Timing Belt "B". As you stated, the "screwdriver check" is the correct method for that.

edit: Here's the picture, hopefully it helps explains the front balance shaft alignment for you.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
okay guys I was reading stuff up, and one way was to rotate the sprocket and see if it falls to the left or right. It said for the oil sprocket it was suppose to fall towards the right. I tried doing the front b.s sprocket and kept seeong where, it would fall and it kept falling towards the left everytime I spin it around then face up, I did it like 50 times and it lways kept falling in the same direction so I GUESS it makes no difference. So I just aligned it up. :) this freaking crap better be good and noy give me vibration LOL. THANKS A LOT GUYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSS FFOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back