The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G Does anyone know what connector this is?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
It's on my '92 Talon TSi along the rear-facing side of the intake plenum, towards the bottom and around the middle:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's probably been like this for years, unconnected to anything. Not sure that that wiring conduit contains inside. When I bought the car nearly 30 years ago, I had a local audio and security shop install a Clifford security system, to maybe it's related to it. I disabled all that years ago as it was a battery drain and went off too often.

Looks like the egr connector. Green and yellow. Black and green wires then yes it is.
So I've been driving for who knows how long with the EGR not functioning? What are the consequences, both short and long-term, on a stock car in which nothing has been deleted or blocked? Gas mileage has been awful and I sometimes smell gas or exhaust when the hood is up. Not sure how this happened or when. Are we just talking dirty emissions and maybe lower mpg or something more serious to the car? Car's too old to need an emissions check in NY so no concern there at least.

Last edited:
Egr temp sensor. California cars only. It'll set a cel if it's not hooked up and you have a california ecu.
Not a CA car, so then why would this connector even be there? The EGR valve is vacuum only, no electrical parts, and no other EGR parts use this on my car?

Not a CA car, so then why would this connector even be there? The EGR valve is vacuum only, no electrical parts, and no other EGR parts use this on my car?
I would guess they didn't make separate harnesses for federal vs CA cars as there was no reason to incur the expense. Just make them all the same and if it gets used fine is not also fine. Depends on EGR installed and ECU installed. There is more than one connector like that taped up to the harness along the firewall. There is a timing check connector and a fuel pump jumper both seemingly going to nowhere but they have a function.

I would guess they didn't make separate harnesses for federal vs CA cars as there was no reason to incur the expense. Just make them all the same and if it gets used fine is not also fine. Depends on EGR installed and ECU installed. There is more than one connector like that taped up to the harness along the firewall. There is a timing check connector and a fuel pump jumper both seemingly going to nowhere but they have a function.
Yeah I know about those "orphaned" connectors, but at least they serve a purpose. But this EGR connector is an unused "orphan" on my non-CA car, basically? So I guess this answers my question of how this happened and when. It happened because I didn't buy the car in CA and it happened in the factory. So whatever fuel, intake or exhaust issues I have, it's not this. I'm going to overhaul all of these soon anyway, the works.

Ah, yes, brain shutting down tonight. I guess these cars were built like many electronics devices, which tend to have unused internal connectors for use in different model versions, all of which use the same main circuit board.

So, anyway, I can safely ignore. Unless I move to CA.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back