The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink does anyone have a base fuel/timing map for e85?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
I dint paste the template as it is irrelevant to my question LOL...

I am dropping in a wally 450 and 1000cc injectors to switch to e85. After I set the global to -33%(correct me if Im wrong on that value) I need to tune. Im just looking for a good base fuel and timing map to get me started. I know e85 typically runs good around 12:1 at WOT in our cars. With 91 octane im running alost 10:1

any help appreciated

I'd shoot for 12.5AFR in boost.... and you can pretty much add timing across your entire table. I'd say start with 3 degrees and go from there. The only REAL way to tune all of this stuff is on a load bearing dyno.... street tunes will work ok enough but if you're really trying to dial it perfectly you'll need a dyno.

I'd shoot for 12.5AFR in boost.... and you can pretty much add timing across your entire table. I'd say start with 3 degrees and go from there. The only REAL way to tune all of this stuff is on a load bearing dyno.... street tunes will work ok enough but if you're really trying to dial it perfectly you'll need a dyno.
I have to street tune it for now.. the dyno I have daily access to isnt awd capable.. Eventually I will py for some dyno time to dial in but its a DD so street tune is ok enough and knock should be almost non existent with e85. Changing afr from 10 to 12.5 should help with the difference in fuel consumption a bit too.

It will help in hauling ass AND saving fuel. That's quite a bit of fuel if you consider how much is being consumed when a motor is in boost. I usually cruise at 15-16 on the gas scale for e85... and that seems to work fine. I've never looked at EGT or fouled a wideband o2 sensor mounted in the stock location.

Although running the AFR a few points leaner should (in theory) give better MPG, the reality is that you will probably never be able to notice it unless you do a LOT of flat highway cruising at low loads. And since the whole point of running E85 is to get more power, well.... you see where I'm going with this. :)

Tune for stoich at cruise, best torque across the board under acceleration, and safe EGTs (remember those?) at WOT (usually between 12.2 and 12.5 on gas scale), and be happy.

Stoich for e85 is like 9:1 or around there but we offset the wideband reading to think it's reading like gas correct? Because technically. If there was no offset and Stoich is 9:1 wot for e85 would be like 6:1 (just throwing out a number) but offsetting it in link to read like gas gives us familier tuning numbers like the wot 12:1 am I correct in my understanding?

There is no offset. All widebands read in lambda and the unit itself is scaled for the specific fuel to show an afr number. In the case of most widebands that is a gasoline scale, however lambda remains the same, thus when moving between different fuels like meth, e85 and gas its best to use lambda values. However, most just stick to the gas scale for e85

Although running the AFR a few points leaner should (in theory) give better MPG, the reality is that you will probably never be able to notice it unless you do a LOT of flat highway cruising at low loads. And since the whole point of running E85 is to get more power, well.... you see where I'm going with this. :)

Tune for stoich at cruise, best torque across the board under acceleration, and safe EGTs (remember those?) at WOT (usually between 12.2 and 12.5 on gas scale), and be happy.

Here's my question regarding that: If I run a log, and run at like 16:1 or so on flat ground light crusing loads (which are very easily loggable) would that be the way to do it? At what point loadfactor wise do you need to start richening up? I only ask because I do a huge proportion of flat cruising, where the only real elevation changes are overpasses and onramps. It's flatter than a pancake where I live.

There is no offset. All widebands read in lambda and the unit itself is scaled for the specific fuel to show an afr number. In the case of most widebands that is a gasoline scale, however lambda remains the same, thus when moving between different fuels like meth, e85 and gas its best to use lambda values. However, most just stick to the gas scale for e85

Exactly right. It took me a while to grasp this concept when I first started looking into E85. I did tons of research, and finally got a good handle on it after reading from various sources. I've read this principal in many places, but I've never heard it stated so clearly in a way that's easy to understand. Great post!

You're thinking about it correct, which is what matters. I'd agree with you that offset would be an accurate term when describing the real world difference seen on your wideband between gasoline and E85.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back