The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Does any of you own a turbo over 100k? How is your reliability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharpGS

Probationary Member
Aug 12, 2002
IL
I am about to trade a 92' GS at 50k mi for a 90' GSX at 100k mi. I am still concerned about not trading it in because of the higher mileage. And also turbos fail earlier than non-turbos. Can anyone who has an early 90's GSX with over 100k let me know or give me suggestion about their reliabilities? Thanks

my turbo has 154 k miles on it, still runs like a champ. I don't know how much longer it will be there, though, hopefully I will be upgrading soon.

Hehe, I bet you even if the turbo went out the GSX would still be faster then your GS :D ... trade your car, you won't be sorry. Also, used 14B's are pretty abundant if you ever need to replace it, or just get a rebuild. Either way good luck ;)

Have you guys have any major problems with your cars that are over 100k? Would you count on it to drive long trips? I read that they have a low reliabilty.

I'm sure that the turbo is faster than my GS. But What I'm really concerned is that my GS is way newer than the GSX and I don't want to trade it for a less reliable car. I read surveys about GSX owners reporting that the GSX have a low reliability rate. That's why I'm hesitant to trade my GS. Here is where I got the informations from

http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/Demographics/Comments/Mitsubishi/Eclipse-1991.html

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_20362.html

ive got 162k on mine and still pulls 14 psi like it was new. no smoke, or leaks either.

i've got 156k on a 1992 Laser All wheel. The car runs fine. yes, i would trust it on a long trip as long as i do my springs first... stupid shitty springs are horrible on the highway.

yo silent, you have 162k on ur turbo and it does 14 psi?! Please tell me what mods you have to where you can have a 162k miles on a turbo and still have it push 14 psi.

Well heh the first thing I did was throw away that defective autometer gauge and start using the factory gauge. LOL Just kidding!

extreme upper ic pipe
hacked mas
bcs mod
fuel pump rewire
hand made boost controller
and thats it for right now. car runs fine, suspension is about shot!

I bought my 92 in NC while still in the Marines w/130k. Drove it back to home sweet...wait a minute...AZ. I hadnt one problem except a few rock chips from those fuggin 18wheelers and falling asleep...LOL. Whatever the car, if it was taken care of, then it will last period. Oh and if you want a turbo...Ill send you my old 14b for 5 bucks and you pay shipping. You can get it rebuilt and throw it on there and have no worries.

Well well well... I just found out that the car I've been wanting to trade for has been sold 1 and a half month ago... I just called the dealer. They are supposed to remove their ad soon after their car is sold.

My 92' Eclipse GS looks mint except the acceleration is very slow... It might have a bad timing. But I have done compression check on all the pistons and got 180 on all of them. The gas that comes out of the exhaust is a bit dense(white-grey smoke) once in a while. When I accelerate a bit harder I hear a tiny bit of rattle coming from my dashboard. Does that make any sense what's wrong?

That sucks man, it's ok a better deal will come along...I was looking at a GSX for a while and had been talking to the guy selling it, the night before I was supposed to leave to go pick it up (the guy lived about 3hours from me) I called him and he told me he promised another guy he'd sell it to him. :mad: BUT...after some venting I got back on the net and found a GVR4 in excellent condition (for almost the same price) so I got that. I am much happier with this car then I would have been with the GSX, you never see any other ones on the road. BTW GVR4's are supposed to be a bit more reliable the the T/E/L's because they were acctually made in Japan.

I let my mom drive it today and she liked it so much that she wants me to find her one too...hehe

I wish that T/E/L were made in Japan. But long as you take good care of your car it should last long. I bought my Eclipse February this year at 49,666 mi. I've only drove 333mi in it, it has been kept in my garage most of the time. The car looks mint, only problem is that it's very slow and have a bit dense exhaust.

My car has about 190,xxx miles on it. Original untouched internals. I just pulled the 14B off at 180K(boosted fine), installed a 16G, boosted that for a while, pulled that off, sold it, re-installed the 14b again at 185K, and just pulled it off again and put an 18G on. Phew.

Moral of the story: what you make of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back