The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Do you think DSM's are junk???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow... all cars have problems, even Hondas. I've driven my 1G 17k in a 13 month period before the headgasket went. I've replaced two alternators, 3 oil return lines, and front struts in that time period. Other then that, this car has been fu*kin' reliable. I took him to Corpus Christi, Tx from Los Angeles (3k round trip) and to Sacramento (800 mile round trip) numerous times. I get great mileage to on my road trips. You need to believe and keep faith in your DSM. Its what works for me. :)

Supra? Lol. I love Supras, don't get me wrong, but they are DYNO QUEENS. Most owners are pushing 800+whp in their 2JZ-GTE, but its for dyno, not dd. I see people pushing high numbers (500+) in their dd. I'm not saying its going to be reliable, I'm just saying that its been done. Yes, sometimes I think these cars are junk when I get really frustrated when working on something (such as trying to plug all of the emissions lines in from scratch), but all in all I love my DSM and trading for that pos Civic I used to own was the best thing I ever did. I have learned that you will always have haters that will try to bash on you, whether its what kind of car you own or what you wear. There's 2 things I want to do to my car that are out of the norm (but not ricer) and believe me, I've taken a lot of sh!t for it, but I don't let it bring me down. Remember, haters keep you famous. Also remember:

"I ain't 2Pac, so keep your mothafu*kin' eyes off me"- E-A-Ski (from the song "IMG")

"Haters ain't nothin' but pissed off fans"- Filthy

I should do that but there is 1 problem:banghead:.. He actually has nice car 95 Supra and im sure everyone on this site would want one....
Way for him to compare a $5,000 DSM to a $30,000 Supra. Imagine how reliable a $30,000 DSM would be. :D

If he continues to run his mouth, tell him at least your car's manufacturer is still rolling at least one type of car off the assembly line with a turbocharger on it. His car is fast-approaching a "classic" status.

Sounds to me like this guy participated in one too many "hey, mine's bigger than yours" contests when he was younger (and possibly some sword-fighting at the same time). One thing I've never done nor will I ever do is flaunt what I have as if it makes me a bigger, better person.

The guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. DSM's are nice cars and pretty solid too. My old 1994 turbo Eclipse felt very smooth and solid. It was much more comfortable than the 1998 Civic Ex I had before it. I was very impressed with the quality. It never left me stranded. It was my daily driver for over 22,000 miles. All cars need maintenance, especially old ones. Also, there weren't many 2 door, AWD turbo cars built. That is a very deadly combination even in stock form. None of the other AWD turbo cars were as cheap or easy to fix as DSM's.

I dnt understand how ppl always talk shit that our cars are unrealiable and they break alot....... yea thats parcially true if you dont take care of it good, but that goes for any car out there................ I happen to work for autozone and sumthing that i find really funny is that noone really goes there to ask for replacement parts for mitsubishi's other than battery, headlight bulb and stuff like that..... on the other hand alot of ppl ask for parts like alternators, distributors, head gaskets, and big replacent parts for cars that supposibly have a good reputation (honda, toyota, chevy) and yet they dont say that those cars a crap????....... now doesn't this kinda shows the opposite????? :confused:

(oh and by the way sumtimes i ask a few customers that own mitsus if they have problems with then and its funny how they tell me that they don't, and people that have probably never owned a mitsubishi always talk crap about them...... funny :rolleyes:)

Supra's are pretty boy's cars.

It takes a real man....(or woman haha) to own a DSM and sport it proudly. We catch...ALOOOOOOTTTT of crap. But we also make sure we make a name for ourselves.

Supra's are seen as this tuner idol. When really, I don't see it as a TRUE tuner. It's got an inline 6. They move out of the 4 banger "ricer" ideals and into the land of ACTUAL displacement.

Screw em. I love my DSM. And when i get my AWD one next week hopefully. I'll love it even more. Cause while they are spinning their lives away. I'll just tuck and run haha

this a lot of it has to be due to crank walk in my thought.. I really think DSM's are good if you baby the thing. I dont have a DSM but i have close friends who do. I use to own a 2000 Honda civic Ek and that thing was a problem giver...ive had problems with the vtec n other issues.. the civic only had about 80K miles on it too. i changed oil when it needed it. I babied the car. my 420a has only gave me tranny issues but its because i used the wrong tranny oil so thats my fault.

my eclipse has 160 k miles on it

Well with my experiences with dsms over the past 12-13 years or so, ive found out the people who talk shit and hate dsms are 1 of 3 people

1. Never owned a dsm
2. Owned a dsm but didnt maintenance it properly or take care of it(beat the shit out of it) and it broke down constantly-
3. Got their ass handed to them by a dsm at 1 point in time or another so they hate them
And thats pretty much what ive found -around here where i live thats why i buy them so cheap and fix and sell them:D

Toytoa Supra's have a pretty crappy reliability reputation too btw.
hmmm I never knew that,most people just babie them i thinkROFL

Way for him to compare a $5,000 DSM to a $30,000 Supra. Imagine how reliable a $30,000 DSM would be. :D

If he continues to run his mouth, tell him at least your car's manufacturer is still rolling at least one type of car off the assembly line with a turbocharger on it. His car is fast-approaching a "classic" status.

Sounds to me like this guy participated in one too many "hey, mine's bigger than yours" contests when he was younger (and possibly some sword-fighting at the same time). One thing I've never done nor will I ever do is flaunt what I have as if it makes me a bigger, better person.

I could just imagine a $30,000 DSM:D. Hahaha and yes he was in too many sword fighting, I know he goes to a lot of car shows to show off. and that last part you wrote made me respect you even more:)

Personally, I think DSMs are a pain in the ass and I've wondered many times why I continue to put myself through the heartache these things cause. But oh my god when the car is running right and hauling ass, it's worth every single penny!!!!

I <3 my Bitc....errrr... 1G!!!! :p

I'm not going to say junk, thats like saying my Avalanche is junk. It has it's issues, like my Avalanche. I consider it reenforcing all the factory weak spots, that is usually what breaks first. Mitsubishi handed you a great machine to out perform everything, but they did not give you the keys so to speak. You have to pick up where they left off. We can lead the horse to water, but we can't make it drink sort of deal. Now if i could just get mine to run, jeesh.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back