The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Do we have any GY6 engine members (gocart motor)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So I passed by this "gocart" (if you want to call it that but to me it is a buggy) 3 days ago with a for sale sign 2x4 on it and thought "that's a cool cart". Then it was still there 2 days ago and I stopped to look and take pictures since I'm not up on the small engine stuff like my son is.
The man was there remodeling his house since they are moving so we talked. He drove this machine a block or 2 then back from his father's house, went inside to get a bottle of water and when he came back out, the motor only "clicked". He said he paid $1500 for it for his 16 year old but it wasn't a hit so he drove it a few times himself, with the drive to his dads and back being the last.
Don't worry, I don't have $1500 in it. :cool:
I have tried a new battery in hopes it was low, but no dice, the solenoid just clicks. I can see the engine fan move a slight bit then stop. The motor IS LOW ON OIL but it is on the end of the dipstick.
What can I do to try to bring this cool machine back to life?
How can I try to turn it over by hand?
Crossing fingers!
ANYONE, ANYONE???? :)
It is a 2018 Tao Tao Targa 200 with a 170cc GY6 motor/trans combo.
Thanks everyone!
Marty

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a short clip of the issue. The battery IS GOOD. The oil IS LOW but shows on the dipstick. After a 4 block trip, this issue started for the PO (but I bought it "right" so now its MY ISSUE).
Thanks for any suggestions!
Marty

Or how about my 13b hairdryer??? :hmm:
I have one of each.

I've built 4 GY6 engines now. The big bore kits for those make a huge difference. I'm not too fond of the reverse models though because it shreds internals when you make any power.

Turning it over by hand should be easy since it's a low compression engine and the cam has compression reliefs for easier starting. Just remove the flywheel air duct and spin the assembly with both hands. Depending if it's a press on or bolt on flywheel you could use a sturdy power drill to turn it over.

I have had some of these apart also, they are cheap enough to replace if you need to, it might be locked up, they are not very high quality.

Thanks guys! I "appears" to be bumping into something so my son and I are tearing the covers off and checking for anything that my cause it to not continue to roll over.
Since it has a timing chain, will it hurt to roll the motor backwards just a inch (if it will move at all), to see if a clutch roller or such could have come out and jammed the dang thing? I will post pictures as we proceed.
I appreciate you guys a bunch! :thumb:
Marty

Well, after alot of outside disassembly of covers and what not, we have determined that the motor spins over. I tried rotating it back and forth (more back than forth). I was finally able to roll it over backwards several times and it seem to help. We hit the switch and it rolled over with no sparkplug and had compression and spark.
After that a noise got louder as we were trying to get her to fire off and have come to the conclusion that the starter motor is wore out (it shouldn't be) and was making noise. It will spin but not FREELY and I think I can feel the brushes on the commutator drag as they go from one to the next. At this point I am happy the motor is free but it hasn't started yet. I will be ordering a aftermarket starter for it asap and then move on to getting her to fire up.
Thanks for the confidence building comments, believe me, it helped!
Marty
Pictures as promised!

My son and I have replace every part that is external on the motor and the noise is still there so I guess I am going to tear the motor apart and replace it all. Having a hard time finding a 169cc (170) crank and rod assembly. It seems relatively easy to rebuild if I can find the parts. I think the hardest part is taking it OUT of the buggy!
More to come as we dig deeper.
Pops

Found them!
Crank/rod assembly, timing chain, new cylinder and new piston/rings all on their way. Not much else to them. They are pretty neat little engines and even have a cute oil pump (which is new also). :thumb:

The goal on this project is to have it running and all the bugs worked out by July 1st, when there is a dirt track get together of all different kinds of carts and mini-bikes (which we have plenty of). I am not sure how fast the parts ship but I found them all at Toa Tao Parts Direct (DUH).
Crank/Rod Assy - $114
New Cylinder Jug - $91
Gasket Set - $39
170cc Piston/Ring set - $42
So just over $300 for the whole nine yards and the motor should be brand new (a new engine is $999.99).
Crossing Fingers.....I have never seen one of these before but they are pretty simple.

I've always been intrigued with the rotating assemblies in these small powersports engines. Instead of giving you a removable rod cap to service bearing/crank, you're left with either replacing the whole assembly or crossing fingers and hoping it's reusable. Just over a hundred bucks is fairly cheap though so no stress on a GY6. On something like a Honda 350cc you're looking at $275ish for the assembly.

Best of luck with assembly and installation. It shouldn't be too difficult. I know there is a specific break in oil they recommend but I usually break mine in on 10w-30 conventional, which is what some other guys recommended on the forums years ago.

Thanks Solomon, I thought you had dabbled in some of the GY6 stuff but didn't want to specifically ask you. I appreciate the encouragement! Now if all of the parts are "in stock" so I can make the go-cart/buggy/mini-bike event, I will be happy. :);)
Trevor is a wizard at the Predator/Tillotson stuff. He is helping me on this since he hasn't seen one apart either.

Well my orders all got cancelled due to NO STOCK. It'd sure be nice to have that posted if you are selling parts. I looked all day today and no luck on a jug, crank/rod but the piston is coming.....big deal, I needed it all.
Back to being down in the dumps again. I won't make that July 1 event.
Oh well.

Tore the GY6 Buggy motor down and boy what a mess. Wish Idda taken pictures of the issues that I was able to fix. Stuck rings from piston slag (low on oil) & the timing chain was no longer attached, idk how it came off but I have a new one here. I removed aluminum slag from the jug with the acid I bought for a 4g63 motor and fixed the piston so the rings now float freely. My son was doubting me being able to save the jug and the piston but I think it has been saved. I'm waiting on a special tool to get the kick starter gear removed from the crankshaft so I can put the new chain on and put it all back together.
Saved $1000 on a new engine and you can't find them anyway.
The cam looks scored from lack of lube but I'm going to run it because I have no other choice.
Updates as soon as the kick start tool comes in so we can put the new timing chain on and maybe see if she will fire up! I'm a nube but now do not consider myself that. What a simple little engine.
Thanks for tagging along this little adventure!
Marty

Well I went out and took PICTURES of the progress....or madness of this rebuild. It is nice to experience something new.
Rings were stuck, piston compromised but saved, timing chain completely off the gear, literally 2 tablespoons of oil in it, oil pump chain wire out and sloppy, jug with slag in it, cam wore The Fk out (lack of oil), sparkplug with gobs of sludge on it (it HAD to be smoking when it was running), ALL SIGNS OF LACK OF MAINTENANCE, JUST LIKE DSM's!!!!
DSMr's, maintain your cars!
New parts are on the way, hoping to make the event ;):cool:
I still have under $300 in the initial purchase price so that's good! :thumb:
Thanks for watching the resurrection!
HOPEFULLY, VIDEO to come! Parts come in at the end of this week!
If you have questions, I will be glad to TRY to answer it.
Marty

Last edited:
Strong work so far, I'm ready to see her running!

I can see the wear but it's really not bad for a GY6, depending how long it was ran. They typically have poor craftsmanship/quality and wear out quickly. Here's a piston from one of the 150cc variations I built. Only the 2nd ring was still in tact. Pieces of the oil rings were floating, damaging the piston skirt and scratching the cylinder walls. The wrist pin was also missing a significant amount of material. As you can imagine it smoked and knocked like hell, and would only start with starting fluid.

For some reason I like to save my old engine components and use them as home decorations LOL

That's funny, I was gonna put my piston up on the carnage shelf but even the the 2nd and oil rings were frozen, I freed both and the ring land was tight until I filed it to fit in that area.
Thanks so much for chiming in to help me figure this out, I appreciate all the input I can get!

PS - I like your model DSM!!! :thumb:

Last edited:
I just got the NEW piston in and had to compare it to a 4g63.
Isn't it CUTE??? :hmm:ROFL
The new cylinder, performance cam, rocker arm assembly and gasket set should all be here by the weekend.
I'm kinda looking forward to something different with this thing.
Crossing fingers I read up on its assembly and hoping the 3rd special tool shows up by this weekend too. These things have 3 special tools to take them apart, a lot like DSMs have their special tools ;).
More to come as the parts get here!
Thanks for watching it all get rebuilt and made into a useable machine!

I just got the NEW piston in and had to compare it to a 4g63.
Isn't it CUTE??? :hmm:ROFL
Yeah!
I wanted to see the cute little oil pump too but I guess that's not coming?

These little air cooled engines - the first time I took the head off my go-kart engine (when I was about 12) I was kind of shocked at how small the cylinder bore was. It just didn't seem right that such a small thing could make any kind of power. But they do. That was a 2-stroke.

I will get a picture of the cute little orbital pump for all to see too. It is laying under the cart at the moment and isn't much bigger than a Silver Dollar, LOL.
As the NEW parts get in, I will snap some pictures and show the old stuff before we pitch it. You and me both on how small the piston, rod, cylinder jug and all are but make decent power! Amazing sometimes.

Yeah!
I wanted to see the cute little oil pump too but I guess that's not coming?

These little air cooled engines - the first time I took the head off my go-kart engine (when I was about 12) I was kind of shocked at how small the cylinder bore was. It just didn't seem right that such a small thing could make any kind of power. But they do. That was a 2-stroke.
Here we go. It's a video of the cute little orbital oil pump and you can see the sprocket and chain (which were WORE OUT) also. I imagine the timing chain was as bad or worse and this chain was very sloppy loose and obvious.
Enjoy ROFLand thanks for just following along these odd little things we do besides DSMs ;-)
Marty

Good EYES!!!
1982 V45 Magna
The carb feed tubes were leaking on my leg so my son removed the airbox and the carbs so I could fit it with SS tubes and now I can't figure out how it goes back together without springs flying everywhere. The 4 carbs are in a shoebox still attached to each other and IDK what to do......bummer cause it was fun and FAST.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back