The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Do I Use a Oil Restrictor with 360 Degree Thrust Bearing???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil John

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 26, 2004
Freeport, Illinois
I just rebuilt my T3/TO4B and installed a 360 degree thrust bearing instead of the 270 that it had before. I've been reading for hours know whether you should use a restrictor or not. I've read some posts saying you should not use a restrictor with the 360 degree thrust bearing since it needs alot of oil. And, you should use a restrictor if you have the 270.

I don't want to have any problems with too high or too low of oil pressure and en up blowing the fresh turbo or have it smoking like a chimney out the exhaust. My oil feed lind is -4 and is coming from the oil filter housing. The balance shafts have been removed also. I just need a definate answer one way or the other, so I can order the parts that I need. Please help, I'm starting to get frustrated.OMG Thanks in advance.

-Jason

You don't need an oil restrictor for the 360 degree thrust bearing. If it was a ball bearing turbo you would.

What would be more precise to ask is what is optimal oil pressure for a 360 thrust bearing centre section, then you could decide based on what your oil pressure is at the oil filter housing. My oil pressure at cruising speed is around 5kg's and can be as high as 7kg-7.5kg under WOT throttle conditions. Best to call the turbo manufacturer and see what they recommend, then you have a good clear answer.

Lil John said:
I just rebuilt my T3/TO4B and installed a 360 degree thrust bearing instead of the 270 that it had before. I've been reading for hours know whether you should use a restrictor or not. I've read some posts saying you should not use a restrictor with the 360 degree thrust bearing since it needs alot of oil. And, you should use a restrictor if you have the 270.

I don't want to have any problems with too high or too low of oil pressure and en up blowing the fresh turbo or have it smoking like a chimney out the exhaust. My oil feed lind is -4 and is coming from the oil filter housing. The balance shafts have been removed also. I just need a definate answer one way or the other, so I can order the parts that I need. Please help, I'm starting to get frustrated.OMG Thanks in advance.

-Jason
Every turbo should have some kind of restrictor if not installed in the cartridge. Doesn't matter if it's ball bearing or not, if a turbo gets more than 50-55psi then the oil will cause resistance and slow it down or push oil past the bearings. This can also slow down spoolup and is some of the reason why most commonly mistake non-ball bearing turbos as slower spooling. If the turbo received the proper oil press it would spool faster. Best thing to do is call the turbo manufacturer to see if the restrictor is built in.:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back