1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Do coil springs degrade?

Posted by talon85, Dec 27, 2016

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. talon85

talon85 Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2002
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    I just purchased a set of AGX shocks. The directions and an email to KYB says to use the stock springs and not to use any dropped springs. My stock springs have 169K miles. It appears that JNZ tuning sells the stock springs but I have a question for everyone, Do you think that the stock springs wear out? Just curious as to everyone's opinion! Thanks!

2. gst-turbo

gst-turbo Proven Member

Joined Nov 7, 2012
    Petaluma, California
    They get soft after a while and might cause the car to sag. They can take out shock if they are really worn out

gst-turbo

Street Build 822  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Of course they do, any metal under loads and compression will fatigue over time, it's just natural, they have been pre stressed and made a certain way for these applications but it's still an item to fail,weaken and soften over years,

Road Race Build 8K  10  50

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    dsmcrzy and ceedawg like this.
  4. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Shouldn't be hard to find another set in GA if you are looking but I can't imagine driving around at stock height.

393  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

777  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.000 @ 109.000 · 2G DSM
  5. talon85

talon85 Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2002
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Well so far I have not located any stock springs because they are manufacturer discontinued. I also have not found any lowering springs with a 1 to 1.25 inch drop for a 92 talon tsi awd. Anyone know who offers such an animal or have a set of stock springs with low miles?

6. scotthidley

scotthidley Proven Member

Joined Nov 7, 2004
    Broad Brook, Connecticut