The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

do any shops sell a coil-on-plug setup for 4g63s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyforestgst

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
san antonio, Texas
ive searched everywhere and cannot find any shops that sell a coil-on-plug setup. i figure if im upgrading a relatively cheap part of my engine (ignition) i might as well go balls-out and get the best i can.
most big hp 4g63s use them, so i know there's a setup out there someone sells.

My question is why would you spend money on it? Coil on plug for the DSM is not all that you think it is.

Go stock ignition with a good set of plug wires and maybe a MSD DIS2. That's enough to get you into the 10's.

You can check out my gallery for installed photo. I am running BR system with MSD ignition.

I was able to run 26psi of boost with .038" gap! Even Tym at BR (the creator of this kit), was amazed by it.

Having said that, I would not get it unless I was aiming for low 10's or even 9's.

Leon
RR

www.directhits.com

I know these aren't coil-on plug, but would they be worthwhile at all? Does anyone have any experience with them? It sounds good on paper, but I've never seen anyone on this board running them, so I figure its better to stick with NGK stuff.

That directhits system seems to be like the Nology spark plug wires, as they are basicially just a set of capacitors and the associated wires.

I would NEVER use capacitors like that, there is a time delay when they charge, which has the end result of less timing advance.

Originally posted by GRNDSM
You can check out my gallery for installed photo. I am running BR system with MSD ignition.

I was able to run 26psi of boost with .038" gap! Even Tym at BR (the creator of this kit), was amazed by it.

Leon, that is VERY impressive. However, I'd like to know *why* you were able to run that much boost!

What parts does the BR COP kit consist of? What plugs are you using, and what coils does it use?

What MSD box are you using, and how do you have it set up, in terms of wiring?

I don't care so much about running a crazy huge spark plug gap, as I care about running a decent gap without having to worry about misfiring....

I used to have a full Nology set up on my VW and they weren't even on for a month and they started to Arc.:mad: I thought it was pretty unconventional that they also grounded to the valve cover. Never the less I did not have a good expirence with them

Amar1995 said:
I used to have a full Nology set up on my VW and they weren't even on for a month and they started to Arc.:mad: I thought it was pretty unconventional that they also grounded to the valve cover. Never the less I did not have a good expirence with them

Grounded to the HOT cast aluminum valve cover? WTF? You would think they would at least chassis ground the thing. :rolleyes:

what should the gap be on the setup with just wires for ignition, and bpr8es running 25-30 psi of boost?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back