The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Dlrshp lists new outer tie rod and CV seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudebk

Probationary Member
May 24, 2003
OhioUS
The dealership my other half went to said she needs a new rt side outer tie rod and transmission CV seals. Personally, I've never heard of a "CV seal". That's my first question... What and where are they? I know what a CV boot is, but not a seal. The only guess I have after extensive research would be a gasket that prevents tranny fluid loss where the half-shaft inserts into the transmission.

I did inspect the rt. outer tie rod. I agree with them, it's shot. Having done repair work for quite some time (foreign autos, primarily my own) I have a few set of instructions from different web sites and unfortunately different cars but I would appreciate anyone's opinion of replacing it myself. I'm lead to believe no special tools are required and I am aware that an alignment may be inevitable. Should I suck it up and have a 3rd party do that for about $160 or give it a shot for about $25 and then judge for an alignment?

Thanks for your help and to all who developed and contributed to this site,
Brian

The CV seal is the trans seal where he axle goes into the tranny. Do it yourself, think of the pride you get from a job well done not to mention the experience you will gain from do this(not being a smart ass about that), as far as the alignment, have it done by someone with the correct tools for the job. Hope this was of some help.(~~)

Thank you NOSNUSE,

I'm good but, without the proper equipment, I'm not that good. Thanks for the info on the CV seal, also for the encouragement I wanted for the outer tie rod replacement.

The go-ahead you sent to me = the results I wanted!!! Hardest thing about that was removing the wheel. The nuts to loosen/remove for repacement... once again, liquid wrench can be one of your best friends.

I'll leave the CV seal replacements up to someone else.

Thank you VERY much,
Brian

-I'm not sure what year your car is but I believe there's a recall on the control arm ball joint for the 2Gs'.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back