The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

DIY Lash Ajusters(lifters) Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had several people ask me how to clean there lifters because they were having trouble following the vfaq so i thought i would write up a new walkthrought with more pictures to help give a little bit better perspective.

To start with things you will need are:
- Shop towels

- Three plastic containers

- Diesel fuel, parts cleaning solvent, or some other form of parts cleaner of your choosing (i use diesel fuel as called for in the shop manual)

- a small safety pin

- 1 quart of conventional motor oil

Now the first thing you need to do is fill both containers with the cleaning solution of your choice. Then take your safety pin and bend it straight.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Next stand one lifter up and take your straight safety pin and stick it down through the hole in the top of the lifter. Now this is where alot of people tell me they have problems, the trick is to try to keep the safety pin straight sometimes it helps to jiggle it side to side alittle until it slides all the way down into the lifter and releases the valve inside allowing you to be able to compress the lifter.

Now take the lifter with the safety pin in it an submerge it in the cleaning solution and compress and release the lifter several times.

Now remove the safety pin and place the lifter into the other container full of fresh cleaning solution and repeat with all lifters until they are all sitting in the fresh cleaning solution.

Now there is a bit of difference in opinion as to how Long to let them soak in the cleaner some say 30 Min's and some say a day now in my opinion if you have the time let it sit for the day but if you don't 30 Min's to 1 hour will do.

Next remove a lifter from the cleaning solution and reinsert the straight safety pin in it to release the valve . Now turn the lifter upside down and compress and release the lifter until all the cleaning solution is out and set it aside to dry for 30 Min's to 1 hour repeat with all the lifters.

Now that all the lifters are clean and dry its time to prep them to be reinstalled in the car. First take the third container and fill it with the oil. Now take the first lifter insert the straight safety pin again submerge the lifter in the oil and compress and release the lifter again until it is full of oil then remove from the oil and pump out all of the oil all you want is to have a thin film of oil on the inside of the lifter. This will prevent damage to the valves upon the first start up, it might clatter for a few seconds until they fill with oil.

thats it your done! Happy Tuning!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back