The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DIY Lash Adjuster (Lifter) Removal Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This how-to will tell you how to make your own lash adjuster (lifter) removal tool. This is a specialized tool that Mitsubishi used to make removing and replacing lifters easy. In the past, people have used long-bladed screw drivers and crow bars. Now, you can use this tool which will make it much easier.

This is what it said on the packaging about the tool:

In Mitsubishi built engines a special tool is needed to depress the valve spring for removal of the hydraulic valve lifters. The tool slides between the cam tower and the cam lobe over the valve spring retainer. By pulling up on the tool the valve spring is depressed and the hydraulic valve lifter can be removed. The tool is also used to replace the hydraulic valve lifter by again depressing the valve retainer with the tool and then returning the valve lifter to its proper position.

Here is a good article on how to replace your lifters:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html

If you follow that article, this tool will replace the use of the crow bar and make the removal and replacement process a lot easier.

Here is a picture of the tool for reference when making it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The PDF file attached to this post is a template. The tool was traced and then scanned. It is .065" thick.

Attachments

• Lifter Removal Tool.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 4,536
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video of how to use the tool.

Here is another video with a different approach to reinstalling the rocker arm. I found this method to be much easier and quicker. It would take me a second or two to install the rocker arm using this method versus 5+ seconds using the method above.

And here is a textual description of the method that my brother wrote up:

turbosax2 said:
The easiest way I found to reinstall the rocker arm is to set the arm sitting on the lifter straight on (with the roller part of the rocker arm pressed up against the cam lobe). Then use the tool to slightly depress the spring while pressing down and forward (meaning towards the valve spring retainer) on the rocker arm. By pressing down on the rocker arm it will in turn depress the lifter and by pressing it forward it will push it up to the retainer and properly seat it.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the tool in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
A member on here (viprez586) sent me a link to the tool for purchase at a reasonable price. Just figured I'd add it for all you lazy people who don't want to make it!

DOHC Hydraulic Valve Lifter Removal Tool - Mitsubishi / Chrysler

A lot of people, including myself, ordered the tool from eBay. It can be difficult to find sometimes, so let me know if you cannot locate one.

Search eBay for "Blue Point Mitsubishi Chrysler Valve Lifter Tool NEW".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back