The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G DIY - 2g DSM Staging Brake Install using 2021 parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will not lie, I'm not the most consistent driver - often bogging off the line which kills my times due to very bad 60's. I was sad to see that STM is not currently making their staging brake kit, so I decided to do some research and make my own. With the help of this thread: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/installing-a-staging-brake-on-a-2g.383642/. I was able to find all information needed to make a staging brake kit out of parts available in 2021.

For my staging brake setup I went with a Sikky reverse-pull handbrake. This brake is a perfect height for a 2g interior, and the reverse-pull positions the secondary slave cylinder forward, giving more clearance. The slave is a wilwood pass-through setup with a .75 bore with 3 an braided lines.

First, mounting was straight forward. When installed the throw is much shorter than its full travel so keep that in mind (pull is only a few inches when fully installed.) That being said I decided to mount the handbrake where most install them, along side the drivers side center console. This does not interfere with my leg, as it sits far back enough to clear the gas pedal. I drilled 3 holes into the floor and secured the handbrake using large fender washers. (Note: I learned that if you drill extremely slowly through the carpet it works best. If you blast through the carpet binds. Drill at the slowest speed possible until you are through the carpet and you will have no issues).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Once mounted you can now bench bleed the slave cylinder. I decided to do this in the car, since I was constantly pulling back the handle for clearance checks. If bled, this would have made a huge fluid mess. The slave comes with a reservoir in the box (this will not be used once fully installed). Mount the reservoir and fill approximately half way. Temporarily install one of your lines on the front fitting location, and put it into a cup of clean brake fluid. Now slowly pump the hand brake until you no longer see air bubbles forming in the cup. (Make sure you do not run out of fluid in the reservoir during this time, otherwise you will need to start over.)

Once the slave is bled, make sure the reservoir level is low - then put in paper towels to soak up the excess fluid in order to not spill any onto your carpet. Remove the reservoir and install the -3 fitting adapter into the top position.

The top line, 42" in length runs from the stock brake master (forward most fitting location). This feeds the system. The forward facing line, 44" in length then runs to the bottom most left hand side port on the proportioning valve, making this a pass-through staggered brake setup. I found that lines with one straight (to handbrake) and one 90 degree end (to engine bay locations) worked the best. Connect the lines to the handbrake, and now bleed your brakes as you normally would. Since this is a pass-through setup, as long as the handbrake is not pulled back fluid will go to your brakes without interference. When the brakes are bled it is now complete! Took me about 90 minutes to install once I figured out all my lines, and mounting positions. Adjust the handbrake to your liking, I decided to lengthen the throw, which puts my hand closer to the shifter when pulled back.

Here is a list of all the main parts used:

In addition to these parts you will need one 42" and one 44" 3an brake lines, I purchased these from Amazon. Again, one straight and one 90 degree end worked best for me. I also used a 45 degree adapter on the front fitting which looked cleaner to me when running my lines together. You will also need hardware, fender washers, and brake fluid.

Hope this information is useful to anyone looking to add a staging brake to their car.

Last edited:
Can you explain what the staging brake does over the regular system for us dummies? Does it hold the brakes better or does it allow you to use the clutch and not have to worry about it rolling thru the beams? I need more CLAMP is the reason I ask.
Thanks

1990TSIawdtalon - I have a problem with bogging off the line while drag racing. My friend and I found that pre-loading the system with the use of the emergency brake helped solve that problem. The issue with this is that brake shoes are not made to handle heat like this and will eventually wear out fast. That and when dropping the emergency brake it can get stuck due to the ratcheting handle.

This is where the staging brake comes into play... I have yet to try it at the track so at this point I am only hopeful, but in theory it will pre-load my driveline without the use of the e-brake. This hand brake only holds the car back while on the line. One foot on the clutch, one on the gas and your hand on the handbrake. Jason drew has a good video about this on his channel check it out:

When you do get the chance to "test" it out, please update us. Thanks for your quick reply! So this is only for the front brakes, rear brakes or does it lock all 4?

Fingers crossed I will be at the track tomorrow night - this setup locks the front pass side and rear drivers side calipers only (staggered). I have tested it at low speeds in a parking lot and it works well. I edited this thread to include the information 99gstracer provided. That was a big help for me as well.

Update - Last night I was able to make a pass using the staging brake. What a night and day difference it made! Staging and launching was a million times better for me. The brake setup this way kept my driveline pre-loaded without creeping, and when released it did not cause any bogging. I lined up next to my friend in his M4, after the race he said I jumped him 3 car lengths right off the bat. Overall I am very happy with this mod, and hope to get better with it after more practice.

What kind of 60's were you cutting before you installed this? What was your 60' after the staging brake install? What turbo/clutch setup are you on? And you should be able to jump ANY RWD car on the street by a few cars right out of the hole.

As I do agree with the RWD comment, I for one have a horrible time not bogging off the line. Often leaving hard only to fall on my face for a second... I wont embarrass myself with my 60' times at the moment (my car makes 565whp, traps 121 mph and I'm still in the high 11's - lets just say my 60's are awful) - That being said hopefully they get much better now. After a few more passes Ill post my progress.

As for my clutch/turbo setup I use an ACT extreme pp, and spring 6 puck disc. My turbo is an FP3586HTA. (my build thread has a complete setup list if interested)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back