The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

divided manifold/undivided turbo??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good question. I run the FP exhaust manifold which has probably the best merging of runners to minimize exhaust pulse interference. Technically the runners are nearly completely divided up to the collector. Functionally its similar to an EVO 8-9 exhaust manifold. There are gains in power doing it, but without the divided turbine housing, your not getting the spool gains necessary to upsize the turbine housing A/R for even more flow.

Good question. I run the FP exhaust manifold which has probably the best merging of runners to minimize exhaust pulse interference. Technically the runners are nearly completely divided up to the collector. Functionally its similar to an EVO 8-9 exhaust manifold. There are gains in power doing it, but without the divided turbine housing, your not getting the spool gains necessary to upsize the turbine housing A/R for even more flow.

well actually my buddy has a 60 trim t4 turbo im pretty sure its a .70A/R hotside (which is undivided) and a divided t4 manifold.. so r u saying that the turbo wont spool right with this setup? b/c i guess he couldn't boost more than 10 psi and he went to 6k rpms. we didnt do a boost leak test yet so could using this turbo with this manifold cause the turbo to not spool right??

I think you might want to post a different thread regarding a T4 60 trim on a .70 A/R turbine housing. Someone with experience with that turbo could definitely tell you where you should be spool wise.

from what i understand they make divided housings/manifolds to balance out exhaust flow. Divided manifolds and divide housings should be used together because they are more balanced. What happens is you have companion cylinders on every engine, and you take the companion cylinders and put them into one port of the divided manifold/housing and then the other companion clylinders to a different port hole in the manifold/housing. it almost acts as a form of timing, and helps increase spool up. thats what i am understanding LOL

The divided manifold is called a twin scroll manifold specifically made for a twin scroll turbo. IMO it'd be a waste of money if you were going to use this on a single scroll turbo. The back pressure from the cylinder that's in its exhaust stroke would still interfere with the cylinder that JUST finished its exhaust stroke.

The divided manifold is called a twin scroll manifold specifically made for a twin scroll turbo. IMO it'd be a waste of money if you were going to use this on a single scroll turbo. The back pressure from the cylinder that's in its exhaust stroke would still interfere with the cylinder that JUST finished its exhaust stroke.

ya divided/twin scroll... same thing but my buddy had the manifold and then bought the undivided turbo b/c he got a good deal on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back