The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Discovered major crack in 14B today

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_97tsiawd_

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2007
camas, Washington
In the pics you can see the one major crack and several smaller ones. My question is, am I in serious danger of a blown turbo if I keep running it like this? I don't know exactly how long its been like this. I do know that I have not seen any loss of performance.

Attachments

• 2010-08-07_19.44.36.jpg
    2010-08-07_19.44.36.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 2010-08-07_19.44.46.jpg
    2010-08-07_19.44.46.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 243
that happens over the years of heat.it pretty common.i have seen alot worse than that.the turbo will not blow but the crack will only get worse.soon you will notice some turbo lag and maybe not building full boost.if you cannot afford to replace the exhaust housing you should be ok running it. it just will not preform to its best.

The crack in mine is worse man.. I still hit full boost every time with no noticeable loss.

Given enough time, every MHI 14b turbine housing is going to develop at least two cracks, across from each other going to the wastegate. There are a bunch of little ones on yours where it mates with the manifold. You're not going to do any damage running it like that, but you will notice a performance drop as it gets worse. In my brother's words, it just won't have the same get up and go that it used to.

My original is cracked like crazy (pictures somewhere around here) and the newer one that came installed on the car has those two I mentioned, very small though.

If you're content with keeping the 14b for a while, there are a few options for new turbine housings that you can explore. Gonna run mine until it gets stomped by VTEC. :D

Finally, I'd like to know why the inside of your housing is white/gray! Both of mine are black as night.

Given enough time, every MHI 14b turbine housing is going to develop at least two cracks, across from each other going to the wastegate. There are a bunch of little ones on yours where it mates with the manifold. You're not going to do any damage running it like that, but you will notice a performance drop as it gets worse. In my brother's words, it just won't have the same get up and go that it used to.

My original is cracked like crazy (pictures somewhere around here) and the newer one that came installed on the car has those two I mentioned, very small though.

If you're content with keeping the 14b for a while, there are a few options for new turbine housings that you can explore. Gonna run mine until it gets stomped by VTEC. :D

Finally, I'd like to know why the inside of your housing is white/gray! Both of mine are black as night.

Well, i'm glad to hear that this is pretty normal. I plan on keeping the 14b just the way it is for at lest the next couple of months but I will be looking for a (real) big 16g soon to match the 7cm exhaust housing on the EVO III manifold I have on the way.
As far as why the inside of my housing is white/gray?... I have no idea! I was kind of wondering why it is myself :hmm: but I did run seafoam though my car a while back, that could have something to do with it.

Oh and BTW 4G63T>VTEC :hellyeah:

Last edited:
I have a secondary question, I have an EVO III manifold ordered and on the way, my plan was to bolt it right up but now the more I read, the more I think I should port my 14b to match the 7cm manifold, I know I can go without porting but how much much of a difference will it make porting it?

Time for a 7cm^2 turbine housing.

Porting does what for performance? Unless you're missing the stock seal ring, your next biggest bet is the 7cm^2 turbine housing. It will certainly give you enough exhaust energy to see the 34lb/min potential flow from the 14b compressor.

Yep, my old 16G did the same thing. Except this one sounded like a fire engine after 10 psi when i replaced it. ROFL

Attachments

• l_7a8914b4837ef4aa8f62bb9bfc99d35c.jpg
    l_7a8914b4837ef4aa8f62bb9bfc99d35c.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 202
Time for a 7cm^2 turbine housing.

Porting does what for performance? Unless you're missing the stock seal ring, your next biggest bet is the 7cm^2 turbine housing. It will certainly give you enough exhaust energy to see the 34lb/min potential flow from the 14b compressor.

Ok this may sound like a newb question but what missing the stock seal ring have to do with it? :confused: i'd rather ask and look dumb then be ignorant about it!

Ok, i understand that but then why would porting not help performance as stated by DSM-ONSTER?

Porting does what for performance? Unless you're missing the stock seal ring

I am missing the stock seal ring, so if I port the 14b to match the E3 manifold that WOULD be better for performance correct? I don't see why it wouldn't LOL

Simple. If you have the seal ring for the 7cm^2 housing with the e3 manifold then you need no porting. . . The benefits is simply smoothing the entrance to the turbine housing. There is no further benefit to the flow of the turbo. The turbo will not act like a turbo with higher a/r value in the housing. The turbo will not act like it was built for higher airflow higher in the rev range. . .

In your case. Get a 7cm^2 turbine housing, seal ring, and evo3 manifold. Or try to find a 6cm^2 housing that is NOT cracked and seal it with the ring and the stoch manifold. Best spool and flow considering porting out the collector simply reduces velocity with no appreciable benefit to flow.

Aquiring the seal rings are farm more effective in time/money than porting. . . porting is for the . . .um, "lazy" who'd rather spend work porting than get the same benefit from doing it right the first time.

Simple. If you have the seal ring for the 7cm^2 housing with the e3 manifold then you need no porting. . . The benefits is simply smoothing the entrance to the turbine housing. There is no further benefit to the flow of the turbo. The turbo will not act like a turbo with higher a/r value in the housing. The turbo will not act like it was built for higher airflow higher in the rev range. . .

In your case. Get a 7cm^2 turbine housing, seal ring, and evo3 manifold. Or try to find a 6cm^2 housing that is NOT cracked and seal it with the ring and the stoch manifold. Best spool and flow considering porting out the collector simply reduces velocity with no appreciable benefit to flow.

Aquiring the seal rings are farm more effective in time/money than porting. . . porting is for the . . .um, "lazy" who'd rather spend work porting than get the same benefit from doing it right the first time.

Thank you for clearing that one up for me! I will start my search for a 7cm turbine housing since I already bought the EVO3 manifold :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back