The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Dipstick hold down

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm posting this for the 1g since that's the only thing I tried it on, but it may work for the 2g as well.

Tired of your old dipstick shooting up and spraying oil all over your hood and engine bay when you really start to boost. Here's a quick fix I found while messing around in my garage.

I should also note that this mod was only tried without a heat shield.

Tools:
1 Hacksaw
1 Attachment bar from a Sears garage door opener. This is the piece that adjusts by the door so it has the proper leverage.
1 can of high-temp paint in your color choice.
1 10mm bolt with whatever size head you want, mine was a 13mm
1 regular washer and 1 lock washer
Anti-sieze

Step 1: Go over to your garage door or to Sears and check out/get this piece.
Step 2: You can cut off the excess if it is mounted in your garage so you don't bang your head off it walking around the garage or if you get it from Sears, just cut to your size preference as long as you leave at least 5 holes left from the rounded end.
Step 3: Cut a v-shaped slot in the 4th hole to allow the neck of the dipstick to pass into the hole
Step 4: Paint the new holder whatever color you want with high temp paint
Step 5: Install holder back on car, running the new bolt (covered with anti-sieze) down into the tapped hole that was used for the old heat shield. Use the washers to build up this end so it sits flat with the dipstick and doesn't put unnecessary force on it.
Step 6: Tighten down just enough that the holder will stay in place, but you can still move it if you need to. Or just carry the according socket around in your car if you have to check your oil level frequently.

Now you are finished, this puts just enough force on the dipstick to hold it down while boosting, but does not run the risk of bending or breaking the holder off of the engine.

Pic 1 is where I cut this off my garage, it was on the piece that comes down at an angle
Pic 2 is the holder installed. I painted it with 1200F paint with ceramic just to be safe

Attachments

• DSCN1787.JPG
    DSCN1787.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,492
  • DSCN1788.JPG
    DSCN1788.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,511
  • DSCN1789.JPG
    DSCN1789.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,479
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back