The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Difficulties adjusting idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wideband pin is still not assigned or being logged. Fuel rims look good. Learnedidle should be about 142 with isc around 30 at idle with no fans. Repeat the procedure I gave you and do it quickly before the learned idle starts adjusting. The BISS should be set within a minute of turning the car back on.

Wideband pin is still not assigned or being logged. Fuel rims look good. Learnedidle should be about 142 with isc around 30 at idle with no fans. Repeat the procedure I gave you and do it quickly before the learned idle starts adjusting. The BISS should be set within a minute of turning the car back on.
Crap I knew I forgot something. I'll look up how to assign the wideband pin and log it. between those and adjusting isc and learnedidle i'll have a few things to do tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far!

Under MAF comp & Misc tabs, uncheck Disable MAF compensation w SD operation. Also smooth out the MAF slider as you don't want big jumps like that. You can tune cruise and WOT later.

Capture and log battery also.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Alright another update. I would love to keep working on straightening everything out but it looks like my cooling issues are worse than I thought. My coolant was boiling in the overflow bottle and it wasn't headgasket pushing air. I almost burnt the shit out of my hand when feeling the outside of the bottle. I'm going to get a new cap and thermostat and see if those fix my cooling issue.

Thanks for the help fellas and I'll be back as soon as I get this straightened out.

Alright everyone, I managed to get that overheating issue sorted. A fresh thermostat and some more distilled water to top it off and now we're pretty much locked at 203 degrees while cruising and 210 after hooning a little bit with it returning back to proper temp relatively quickly. @TK's9d2TSi I should now have my sliders looking a bit more normal and I've unchecked the boxes you suggested. I'll post a new log as soon as I clean up and triple check for leaks.

@Vegas Smith and @TK's9d2TSi New log has been posted, heat is much more under control, MAF comp is better, front O2 is assigned and logged, battery is logged, Disable MAF comp is unchecked, gotta work on the learnedidleadj and iscposition tomorrow.

the O2 pin assignment took me a minute to find the right AEM gauge. There was a few to pick from until I found one that matched what the gauge itself was displaying. It's now +/- 0.2 of the displayed number.

Attachments

• log.2021.04.11-01.elg
    225.5 KB · Views: 22
NEEDS BISS adjustment & its RICH
Once it's fully warmed up, turn the biss screw slowly until iscposition is around 30 with all electronics off including fans. This will take a minute as the fan turns on and off. It's still rich based on LTFT. You want all your fuel trims close to zero (+/- 2%) is great so pull some deadtime and see where your FT land. If LTFT is still more -, pull a few % from global.

Are you on 93?

LTFT has little effect on idling. STFT is spot on. No need to make any deadtime fueling adjustments for idle. Now you just need to cruise around at part throttle and see what the LTFT does while cruising. Don't touch the MAF Comp slider at 50hz as that will affect idle and your idle looks good. So what you want to look at for driving around is either MAF or MAFRaw. This will tell you which slider to adjust. Then your LTFT will tell you how much to adjust at that Hz value.

Also you should get a MAP sensor.

LTFT does have a fairly wide window that it controls for driving around and cruising. But not much effect at idle. Unless the LTFTSelect in DirectAccess was adjusted much lower then it could effect idle. But best to leave LTFTSelect at default and just dial in idle fuel deadtimes using STFT.

LTFT does have a fairly wide window that it controls for driving around and cruising. But not much effect at idle. Unless the LTFTSelect in DirectAccess was adjusted much lower then it could effect idle. But best to leave LTFTSelect at default and just dial in idle fuel deadtimes using STFT.
Hmm I’ve always used combinedFT (as per link demo video) to dial in deadtime. Just like a lot of other things, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Below is from links wiki page

The ECU will also watch what's going on with the short term fuel trim variable. If conditions are right and the short term variable has stayed positive or negative long enough, the ECU will move the long term STFT pattern into the long term variable (LTFT). This is called a learning mode. Let's say instead of swinging around 0%, STFT is swinging up and down around -5%. The ECU will eventually take note of this and move that -5% adjustment into the appropriate LTFT variable and then zero out the STFT variable. Since both are factored in, the end result will be the same but STFT should now swing around 0%.

The ECU uses at least a couple different LTFT variables depending primarily on airflow. Lower airflow values seen at idle will typically result in the LTFT Lo variable being used (and updated). Higher airflow values seen at cruise will result in LTFT Mid (2G) or LTFT Hi (1G) typically being used.

That's just the way I've always done it. STFT reacts faster to changes, rather than waiting for ECU to learn and put it into LTFT. And I use LTFT for cruising and driving around. I don't use CombinedFT much since that is STFT+LTFT and if STFT is -5% and LTFT is +5%, then idle and cruising could be off and you would probably not notice. The MAFComp Tool using CombinedFT is good for making quick rough changes to get in the ballpark. But then I do the fine tuning with deadtimes for STFT and adjust MAFComp or SD VE with LTFT. Seems to work for me and the few cars I have tuned for others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back