The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Difference in Big 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I am getting a Big16g very soon and was wanting everyones opinion/expirences from going 14b to B16g.....Of course there will be a power gain but what kind of a gain?Am i going to notice the power ALOT more?Or is it going to be more like "enhhh ya it's a little quicker"?Other mods that i will be adding..
-Evo exhaust manifold
-New o2 housing w/external dump
-Walbro 255 FP
-SS oil feed line,New oil(Royal purple),coolant,plugs(Of course)
Thanks for everyones thoughts!:thumb:

if you port the manifold, with the O2 dump, the happy spinny blade things should sp00l about as fast as the 14b... but it depends what psi you're running. what was it set at with the 14b? regardless the boost, a Big16g will flow air more efficiently than a 14b. so yes, unless your car has tremendous tuning issues, you will notice a larger, more violent kick in the @$$ when the whistling starts ;)

14b was set @15-16psi,should i do the same with the b16g?Or a little more with the fuel pump?

i got the walbro.....i'm waiting till next check to get the 550's and an afc

At 15 psi of boost, you will notice very little difference between the big 16g and the 14b.

In fact, I would say that the 14b could possibly even be faster, if not for the different turbine housings.

....Kyle T.

Originally posted by kpt4321
At 15 psi of boost, you will notice very little difference between the big 16g and the 14b.

In fact, I would say that the 14b could possibly even be faster, if not for the different turbine housings.

....Kyle T.

ummmm,14b faster,u sure??

as the boost rises it will continue to pull away from the 14b in performance, at lower boost they are very similar. with my 20g until i hit like 15+ it felt slower then my 14b, one reason is a bigger turbo spools a little slower so the power comes on more gradually whereas the 14b just explodes when it spools then kinda levels off, should be the same effect with the 16g

if @ one point you crank ur big16 up to 20 psi you WILL tell the difference and you Will be satisfied... the 14b cant handle that shit... but when u do it with the b16 it will pull harder like theres no tommorow :D

Originally posted by 91TSI505

ummmm,14b faster,u sure??

At a PR of 2.2 (15 psi) and a flow rate of about 300 CFM:

14b: 74% Efficient
B16g: 70% Efficient

The 14b is more efficient than the big 16g at that low of a flow rate and boost pressure. However, a 5% difference in compressor efficieny does not make a huge difference. Also, any difference is does make is probably cancelled out by the VE gains from the lower backpressure from the bigger turbine housing.

The big16g certainly isn't going to make any more power though. Not at 15 psi on a lightly modded car.

And, I have turned my 14b up to 20 psi and beyond, and it certainly can handle "that shit."

.....Kyle T.

....Kyle T.

Originally posted by theTuner
if @ one point you crank ur big16 up to 20 psi you WILL tell the difference and you Will be satisfied... the 14b cant handle that shit... but when u do it with the b16 it will pull harder like theres no tommorow :D

Ok.......how could i run 20 psi safe,my mods are listed,Would i just need and afc and some 550's?

You would also need a FMIC, ditch the stock dp for something that flows better, and a hi flow cat or testpipe, and the knowledge and experience to tune a turbo that is running at it's limits. That's all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back