The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Difference between 2G RS and GS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellaride

Probationary Member
Jan 31, 2003
central_NY
i am all new to dsm cars and looking into purchasing a 95'+ non turbo eclipse. what is the difference between the rs and gs? what are things to look out for on these models? thanx for any info

i do not know about 2g's, but you should wait and get a GST or GSX, i know from exsperience, get a turbo from the start,because you will want one later,

maybe in his situation he wants to get a 2gnt.. and theres nothing wrong with that. people have their reasons..

anyways.. i dont know much about the 2gnts.. but.. from what i can recall.. the rs is base model.. no power windows, power locks, sunroof etc.. all the luxury stuff.. and the gs on the otherhand has all of those luxury features..

rs: no sunroof or fog lights (unless there were ordered), no p windows, no p locks, no matching door hanles, 14 in rims, rear drum brakes, 95-96 no spoiler no rear wiper ,lighter
gs: all the power options, sunroof, fog lights, usually better stereo, leather was an option(but is fricking cold in winter mornings), 16in rims, rear disc brakes, 95-96 spoiler and rear wipers, heavier
i know i'm forgetting something but that is pretty much it
seriously i had a gs and i loved it, so much easier to work on but if you want to go fast get a turbo awd (talons are cheaper) cw is not that common
good luck

Why are you looking at an N/A? The insurance rates are the same, the gas mileage is close to the same, and the resale is higher. So, the N/A is better because....

I've owned a GS before and loved it. Till the day it went bye bye. From that day I bought that GS I was in love with DSM for life. If anything get the GS it looks a little better. The RS stands for Ricer Special. It's more of a show car. Well at least that is what people use for show cars. If I were you though. Go with a turbo DSM. Better to start out with. But then again it all depends on what you want to do. If you want a show car, go with the RS/GS. If you want speed and etc go with a GST or a GSX. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by goats21
The RS stands for Ricer Special. It's more of a show car.

Originally posted by nutshot
Why are you looking at an N/A? The insurance rates are the same, the gas mileage is close to the same, and the resale is higher. So, the N/A is better because....

LOL that or "really slow" :D

and the insurance wasnt the same for a non turbo and turbo for me....i get killed with insurance, but i also have awd too

thanx for all the info........the reason i am looking into a non turbo is because i live in central NY and the weather is always changing here and the winters are bad. i will be commuting to college in the winter also and i don't know how well a turbo will last with the variable weather and cold winters. they are also cheaper. thanx again

things the GS has that the RS dosent:

power everything
rear disc brakes
rear sway bar
painted handles and mirrors
moon roof
retractable antenna
rear wiper blade
nice aluminum rims

i can agree with going for an rs or gs because they are cheaper... but we've got dsmers from everywhere on this forum, so turbo behavior in your climate is no reason to go for a slow pos

I looked at several RS and GS 2g dsm's before buying my 2g RS and yeah the only diff. is RS 's lack of moon roof and power stuff... but for some reason the RS I have has power windows and locks.. 97'..im not complainin

Originally posted by hellaride
i don't know how well a turbo will last with the variable weather and cold winters. they are also cheaper.

No way around the cheaper part, but turbos like cold weather. Just as with any car, give it room until its blood warms.

i currently own a 94 base probe....if i buy a gs or rs will i still regret it?haha. thanx again for the info...maybe i will look into a turbo now if you guys think they'll be ok in the winter

Isn't the GS a 2.0 and the RS a 1.8? Honestly, don't buy either if you plan on going fast in it. Question is, are you going for looks or performance? If it is performance that you are wanting, then you will NEVER be satisfied with a NA DSM... not when you pull up to a stop light and old ladies in their station wagons are revving on you... (LOL) If performance is what you want, get a 1G and spend the money that you saved from buying a 2G and put that bad boy solidly into the 12's. I like the look of 1G better myself, not as sexy or curvy as a 2G, but still sporty looking, and not everyone and their brother has one. 2G RS are what high school kids drive.

--Scott

umm... i have a 98 rs, it has power everything i.e. - sunroof, locks, windows etc... i still want a GSX though.... to bad i dont have $14000+.......

I own a 99 GS N/A. I am putting a Star Stage II Turbo Kit and a Greddy SP Exhaust System on it in about 2 months. It is rated at 280HP/220-230WHP after just doing that. So, the GS is possible at getting up there in speed and performance, but it does cost a little more to do then with a Turbo. I love my car and keeping it mostly stock, so I am going as fast as possible, with keeping it that way.

my buddy just got ahold of one of the OZ racing GS's...pretty cool car. its a N/T but who cares. he cant afford insurance.

Originally posted by tunerkid
umm... i have a 98 rs, it has power everything i.e. - sunroof, locks, windows etc... i still want a GSX though.... to bad i dont have $14000+.......

I got my 95 for half that, last August.. although it says "Talon" instead of GSX.

Taken from http://www.dsm.org/archives/1998/02/19980224.txt/30.html ::

In response to Noah Hansen's request for deciphering the suffixes on DSM
vehicles:

Talon --
TSi - Turbo Sport injection
(the 'I' designation is a carryover from the 80's when car
manufacturers wanted to specify that a vehicle's engine was
fuel injected rather than carbureted - BMW was among the first
vehicle manufacturers to add this suffix)

[I've also heard "Turbo Sport Intercooled". -talon mgr]

ES - Edition Sport
(this is a unique one...Chrysler introduced the 'ES' designation
on the Dodge Daytona as an alternative to differentiate
themselves from the growing popularity of 'SE' by other
manufacturers - it worked for the Daytona, so it was ported to
the Talon)
ESi - Edition Sport injection
(same as above with the added attempt at sophistication by
elongating the suffix)
DL - Definitely Lame
(just kidding - it's an abreviation for 'Deluxe')

Laser / Eclipse --
RS - Rally Sport
(intended to denote the sportiness level above the base model)
GS - Grand Sport
GS-T - Grand Sport-Turbo
GSX - Grand Sport All Wheel Drive
(this one is a bit of a strech by the marketing folks at
Mitsubishi. The 'X' refers to the word 'cross' as in
'cross country', making loose reference to being able to
cover terrain that other vehicles cannot)

I hope that helps.
Happy Motoring!
Keith M. Sedor
President/CEO
Automotive Consultants Group
92 Talon TSi AWD
"Happiness is a full tank of gas and an open road."

Also try this link: http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-makeandmodel.htm#whatkindofengine

That is from VFAQ

--Scott

:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back