The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

difference between 1g and 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4G63_Colt

Probationary Member
Dec 18, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
my name is marc i have a 1991 dodge colt with a 4g63t in it. I am wondering what is the difference between 1g and 2g. I hear all this talk about each one and im not sure so if someone could help me out.

Marc :dsm: :thumb:

1g's are the first generation of eclipse/talon/lasers and the 2g's are the second generation of eclipse/talon

1G's are from 90-94 and came with either a 1.8L or 2.0L engine as well as a 2.0L turbo. The 2G's ran from 95-99 and came with a 420A motor and a 4g63T motor. there is a section in here that explains the different models. check the home page.

1Gs look more like Thunderbirds and 240SXs, 2Gs look like used bars of soap. Wander through the galleries, the pics will show you more than our talking will. Mechanically, the differences are mostly in the details- turbos, noise control, and "stuff". 2Gs have a higher horsepower rating, but 1Gs have turbos that'll put out more at higher RPMs. 1G interiors are starting to show their era, while 2G interiors are still looking fairly current.

1Gs are better-built cars than 2Gs, but their years are starting to erase that advantage.

FusionTalon said:
never again plz dont diss the 1G like that :cry:
hey an opinion is an opinion, if he thinks they look like t-birds, whatever, did it really bring ur ego down to think ur car may look a little like a t-bird. meh at least im not driving a bar of soap :laugh: j/k its all good. :p

I-luv-em-all said:
hey an opinion is an opinion, if he thinks they look like t-birds, whatever, did it really bring ur ego down to think ur car may look a little like a t-bird. meh at least im not driving a bar of soap :laugh: j/k its all good. :p

haha, guess my car's always clean and smells good allday..

1st Gens are the older vehicles, and are technically the only TRUE DSM. (1990 to 1994s) (a.jpg)
- the only year plymouth laser was part of the DSM line
- early 1992s to 1989 are known to have stronger "6-bolt" motors (6 bolt flywheel)
- late 1992s to 1994 use a 7-bolt motor (7-bolt flywheel) slightly weaker, but still a excellent motor
- 1992-1994 dsms had a minor appearance upgrade
- early models (91 or below) had a 3-bolt rear, it was switched later with a stronger 4-bolt rear
- has a bigger stock turbo, autos had a smaller turbo than the manuals did
- considered the BEST choice if you are looking for performance
- DL, RS are usually the models with the 1.8L motor
- GST, TSi, GS Turbo are turbo models
- GSX/TSi AWD are turbo models with All Wheel Drive
- The RS Laser is tricky and can be literally any config, although before 1992 they did NOT have all wheel drive

2nd Gens are the newer vehicles, and are considered DSMs because the setups are similiar to the 1st gens plus the design for the vehicles were made before DSM ceased to exist. (b.jpg)
- 1.8L base model no longer applicable
- Plymouth Laser line-up is DEAD, now only the two brothers stand, Eagle Talon and Mitsubishi Eclipse
- Eagle ceased to exist in 1998
- improved looks dramatically
- 7-bolt motor, known to "crankwalk" even though it is VERY rare anyway and overrated.
- smaller turbo than the 1st gen, slightly smaller IC
- horsepower increases 20 stock, this is mostly due to flow enhancements and compression
- 1997+ had a few cosmetic updates
- GSX/TSi AWD are all wheel drive turbo models
- GST/TSi are turbo models
- ESi, RS/GS are basic models with 420a chrysler non-turbo motor
- considered best if you enjoy having looks and good performance

so really a 2g is ascloser to a dsm as a 3g.....jk i would never seriously say that.

hahah I can see the used bar of soap

paranoidTSi: Can you give me the differences between 97, 98, 99 Eclipse in terms of styling and peformance? I know they all look alike but there has to be some minor styling difference? I can't tell. :laugh:

GSX23GST said:
paranoidTSi: Can you give me the differences between 97, 98, 99 Eclipse in terms of styling and peformance? I know they all look alike but there has to be some minor styling difference? I can't tell. :laugh:

Every trim model is the same through 97 98 and 99. The exception being the 99 GS which came with the 10 anniversary package and the high rise turbo wing.

GSX23GST said:

1997-1999 eclipses have:
- a new more aggressive front bumper, they dropped the smiley bumper of 95-96
- the rear end changes slightly, the reverse lights are round and located AWAY from the license plate holder.
- Fog lights are rounded off as well
- In terms of performance they are no different from the 95-96 models, though some say in 1999 mitsubishi fixed the Crankwalk issue, but this isn't confirmed.
Those are the MAIN differences between the 95-96 and 97-99...the 97+ have a different front and back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back