The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

diference in GM MAF and stock MAF

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big B

10+ Year Contributor
May 5, 2011
atlanta, Georgia
i plan on gettin a new VRSF FMIC this week and it has the option to add on a 3" GM MAF whats the differnce between that and the MAF that comes stock? would it be worth getting?

gm maf allows you to do a "blow thru" setup. stock maf is pull thru. ie, the turbo is blowing air through the maf. or pulling it in through the maf. you can have leaks before the maf but not after. also the gm maf can handle reading more airflow. the stock maf is pretty limited even more so on a 1g.

For 150-200 you can get a nice condition gm maf setup. for 150 you can get a new Speed Density setup on dsmlink. The ultimate tuning goal for 90% dsmers is dsmlink. waaaayyy better than any safc. almost as good as standalone, very simple and plenty of support. you should hold out for now.

If anything, ask vsrf if they will tap a bung for a GM IAT sensor, and plug it until you get the SD setup.

Got all mine for 375 shippped 7 years ago everything it did help while i learned to tune, got link never looked back, the maft wasnt bad.

Unless you have the urge to vent your BOV (or need to because you stupidly bought one that can't be recirculated and didn't know it), stick with the stock MAS. I'm going to guess, since your profile isn't filled out, that you don't have a large enough turbo to overrun the stock MAS. This will make tuning much easier as the GM MAF can be finicky.

And it's draw thru, not pull thru ;)

I used the maft, during the winter had issues with my my gm sensor, i got lots of codes not sure why. Had to get rid of of as i learned, more about ecmlink.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back