The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Did you degree your aftermarket cams/gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Just wondering how many of you tuners have properly degree'd your cams and what degree kit you used? Any good links to vidoes on degreeing 4g63 cams? about to pull my engine to degree HKS 272 264's

Thanks tuners!!

I am oing to have the machine shop degree my kelford 272/272 and i have done some research on this and hks cams are normally only off about a half to one and a half degrees i also have adjustable cam gears...let me know how everything goes i am interested to hear

I just degreed a set for the first time last weekend with this kit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1056

You just have to come up with something to extend the dial indicator, a way to mount the dial indicator, and a way to mount the degree wheel. This tech article isn't perfect, but it's ok. The setup took awhile to figure out, but once we got that down the degreeing part was easy.
4G63 Camshaft Degreeing

I was recently told by an engine dyno shop that setting the proper degree of the cams is highly recommended especially if you have ever had the block or head milled or are using a different head gasket than OEM. He went on to explain that with the cam gears just a bit out, it can cause the cylinder AFR and the exhaust AFR to actually be different since the exhaust gas can consist of unburnt fuel if the exhaust opens too soon. He referred to it as "cross flow". In my case I was pooring out thick black smoked from the exhaust even though my spark plugs were showing I was slightly lean (No black soot and light gray flakes on the ceramic which is an indication of knock). He told me this is due to the intake charge not staying in the cylinder long enough to fully ignite.

He also showed me other user's dyno numbers where they degreed the cams between 2 logs and there was a MASSIVE difference. You could see the air flow coming in on the first log steadily go up, but the HP dropped. On the second log, the air flow increased with RPM and so did the HP. There was a 80 HP gain @ 8000 RPM just from degreeing the cams!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back