The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Did my first bit of actual tuning tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowgsr

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2007
hamilton, ON_Canada
Well.. I was tuned on 22psi, car made 365hp and 310tq or around there. After 4000km the turbo blew. So i put on a S258 with the 0.70 a/r, what i should have used in the first place.

On the 'old map' the timing was VERY conservative, (12 deg @ 20psi 7000rpm). And the old AFR's were around 11.4-11.6:1. So i do have some knowledge of tuning theory, just no actual experience.

I tuned the AFR's to 11.5-11.6:1 and i added about 2 degrees of timing across the map.. I thought it was TOO conservative before. Considering im running 94 octane, and using the largest jet that came with my AEM water injection (50/50).

The car is running really strong, and considering my IAT's were 39 - 42 deg F (its getting COLD here!), even after numerous 4th gear pulls id say that its working pretty damn good. They were about ambient.

So my main concern, now im running about 14.8 deg of timing @ 21psi on the S258 this is with the given IAT's, and the watermeth on 94. Does this still sound WAY to conservative to you guys?

I am however picking up NO knock, but i should use a 2G sensor, since the 1G isn't that accurate when used with AEM EMS.

Anyways, what do you all think? Once the temp rises I will be doing a re-tune, im just heading back to the track on friday and wanted something better.

FYI, this s258 on 21psi took 16% more fuel than my old 'silver surfer' and about 10% more fuel at around 15-16psi. It hit full boost 8-900rpm sooner and seems to be flowing a shitload more judging by how much fuel i had to add to get the AFR's back in line.

So yeah, hows the timing looking, i could have swore ive heard of you guys running low 20's on pump with meth, but im unsure if that was on just a 16G or something.

Thanks!! This AEM seems endless once you kinda get the hang of it a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back