The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Did I Win the Lottery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina94

Proven Member
Dec 19, 2022
Wisconsin
This past weekend, I found a one owner ‘90 Laser turbo manual at an estate sale with 64k on the clock. I bid on it and won! And it’s rust free which is absolutely unheard of in Wisconsin for these cars. I’m pumped!

I’ve always thought these cars were awesome but have never owned one or gotten in depth with one. This one hasn’t run in a while, but with some fresh gas and a new battery, she started right up and drove enough to verify function of pretty much everything besides the passenger door handle!

My first goal is to get rid of the rough idle it’s got. I suspect a boost leak but don’t know yet. I changed out the oil idiot light sender and the oil pressure sender as those were bad.

Timing belt will be right after I chase down the rough idle. The car sat for years and I don’t want to take any chances with a brittle belt. Will do water pump and related pulleys and balance belt at the same time.

I’ve been researching the process since everything else I’ve ever worked on has been pushrod v8s with timing chains or gear-timed diesels. Any tips or input would be welcome! I read a great TSB but it seemed a lot more complex than I had anticipated.

I plan to keep the car very close to stock given how unique it is and just enjoy it as a summer cruiser. At least by me, every dsm has been rusted to hell and/or been romped on pretty bad. But emissions have to go, the factory exhaust has to
go, and I’d probably like to do the complete turbo/intercooler system with a front mount and a modestly upgraded turbo that will still allow a light comfortable clutch to live a long and happy life. Preferably on stock injectors since I know nothing about tuning these cars or anything running maf instead of speed density for that matter.

Would like to keep a build thread documenting this car’s transformation from a neglected heap that hasn’t been registered in 5 years into (hopefully) a great summer driver and clean 1G. Please feel free to reach out With any tips cause I know nothing about these!

I just wish it was another color, preferably teal...

I did my timing belt on my White 90 GSX in the car. It wasn't terrible it just made my back hurt from bending over the fender. I have another 90 Talon that I'll have to do the same thing to before it moves an inch as the PO took off the intake cam gear and left the motor sitting (but I do think it is on TDC so that is helpful).

My parts just arrived yesterday from Japan to fix my oil leaks, mostly related to the "front" (crank pulley) end of the engine. I'll get to do the tbelt replacement all over again, just as soon as temperatures moderate a bit. It was -14F this morning, which is warmer than what was forecast! Looks like plenty of other regions are in the Icy Grip. Lack of clearance or not, my hands don't work for more than 42 seconds on cold steel when I can only raise my garage temp up to 6F.

At this point I'm still going through the list of parts that get replaced in the course of all the disassembly /reassembly that goes along removing the front case. Exhaust gaskets: check. Turbo oil return gaskets: check. New alternator to replace the oil-soaked one I removed: check. It will give me a chance to also put in the p/s heat shield that I picked up a year ago, but didn't want to mess with until I had other reason to pull stuff out. Why some previous owner decided to ditch that is a mystery I will never solve. Check.

Hmm I should do a really thorough inspection before tearing anything apart so I can order on the front side and avoid waiting for parts. Good point.

Didn’t realize exhaust gaskets and oil return gasket would be messed with. This is why I Ask questions haha. May just order a new exhaust manifold then. In my experience, ancient manifolds never really like to seal again once they come off. Assuming they aren’t cracked anyways.

You don't need to remove the exhaust down-pipe, oil pan, nor the turbo drain for only a T-belt/water pump replacement. Sorry I got on my own tangent. But it does seem that every time I think I have all the right parts lined up, I miss something and end up at least a week more down waiting on shipment. Parts stores in my area are useless for this car. Poor/ no selection, higher prices, and longer waits. Umphhh. I would assume you're changing the w.p/alt/p.s/a.c belts for age reasons. If the engine looks pretty dry, then you should be OK on other seals & gaskets for now.

Exactly my experience too haha. Yeah, all related belts too. May just delete the a/c now instead of later as it’s against my principles (all my cars are t tops or targa tops except this one). I’d keep it intact though I’m case I ever want to reinstall it and go back to stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back