The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Did i ever get lucky....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBlue

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2002
Canton, Connecticut
Well after a strange noise started emitting from my engine bay...i snooped around, and saw a very werid rubbing pattern on my T-belt, so i said "uh-oh" and decided to replace it. Well Upon removal, this is waht i found. This is why i say i'm lucky i caught this early enough...

Attachments

• DSCF0023 small.jpg
    DSCF0023 small.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF0024 small.jpg
    DSCF0024 small.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 311
How much and where did you get your kit from? I am thinking about getting my t-belt replaced as I think its the original and my car has 142k on it. The previous owner had no idea of the belts had been replaced, since it was her daughters car. I am looking at $500 OTD at my best shop(the only shop I trust) for new t-belt, tensioner, water pump, and labor. Is that a good price? How much downtime is involved? They recently replaced itzallstock's laser's t-belt, so I know they are capable of it, but he was getting a buncha other work done so I don't know how much downtime from the change there really was.

Well the tensioner lists for about $178, water pump around $50 i'd guess, and T-belt around $60, so that right there is almost 300, i'd suppose $500 isnt too bad. It can be done in a day easily, but who knows. I'd suggest getting it done ASAP.

And i didnt buy a kit, i just rebuilt the motor about 1500 miles ago, and re-used the tensioner, so i just got a new tensioner and belt, and swapped em. But good luck :thumb:

TurboBlue said:
Well the tensioner lists for about $178, water pump around $50 i'd guess, and T-belt around $60, so that right there is almost 300, i'd suppose $500 isnt too bad. It can be done in a day easily, but who knows. I'd suggest getting it done ASAP.

And i didnt buy a kit, i just rebuilt the motor about 1500 miles ago, and re-used the tensioner, so i just got a new tensioner and belt, and swapped em. But good luck :thumb:

Just get the full T-belt kit from pro street. $199.

i had my tensioner pulley FALL OFF once.. i was HELLA lucky.. each cam spun a tooth off in opposite directions and the crank sprocket spun 3 teeth. somehow, the compression was still perfect and the car has run good as new ever since still.. i just lined i all back up, put it back together, and she's run ever since.

DAMN!

I spun a T-belt on my 4G63 N/T Laser once... lined it back up, put the new belt back on, ran good as new. Of course it was a Kragen belt and I sold the car a week later :coy:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back