The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Did I blow my turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nando15v89

Proven Member
Jan 9, 2013
Whittier, California
So today I was switching out my oil pan gasket and turbo oil line going to the oil pan ### they were all leaking and changed my oil pressure switch but I added the oil back in and fired it up I forgot to turn the key a bit to get oil in the turbo and now the car has no power and when I revv it to about 3k it has a loud rattles from the turbo area and I drive it once I switch gears in higher Rpms the car just dies out on my boost gauge the vacuum was always at 20 not its at 15 or less i don't know but ### do you guys think? Oh yes it's a 99 gst with stock t25

Any smoke coming out the exhaust? I would take off the intake pipe and see if your turbo has bad shaft play, give it a light spin by hand and see if you hear of feel anything. Might need to rebuild it.

Heres a video
YouTube

I just checked the for shaft play and there's none but I also wanted to mention we changed all the belts and when trying to loosin the power steering belt going to the harmonic balancer we turned it counter clock wise accidentally trying to get it lose would that mess up the timing?

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound like the turbo to me. It sounds like its coming from the head. Hopefully you didn't bend any valves up turning the crank the wrong way. I was told it shouldn't have unless it jumped timing.

If you turned the power steering pulley its no big deal.
Did the turbo wheel spin when you checked it for shaft play?
Is your wastegate stuck open?

I cant open the video for some reason.

Do a boost leak test. You already know your vacuum is less than before. That should be the obvious first thing to do. I couldn't open the video either. Also, make sure you timing is correct.

Doesn't sound anything like a boost like from the video. Not saying he doesn't have one, but there is definitly something else going on. Rod knock maybe?

My timing is not lining up i just checked and in the video it sounds like a knocking sound when I revv it up were do I go from here

If your timing is off I'd get it checked for bent valves and any other damage to the motor. Something is going on from that sound! Hope it isn't rod knock, if so its time for a rebuild. I'm not a expert by any means, but it doesn't sound good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back