The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Did ACT revise their street disc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegis13

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2004
Altus, Oklahoma
Hiya,

I need an answer on this QUICK

I had a new ACT street disc thrown in with my older 2600 plate by a shop this week. Welded pedal assembly, bled PERFECTLY (not a single bubble in the fluid), pedal adjusted all the way out, etc. However, the clutch was grabbing very strongly even with the pedal all the way down to the floor. The shop took the trans back off. They are telling me the disc is not the same as any other street disc they have seen. They said something about the springs are riding on the plate, or something of that nature (can't remember clearly, as I was a bit dazed by the fact they want me to pay for another trans install, as well as order a new disc). They said they believe that ACT revised it's disc and it is now thicker. Has anyone else heard about this? Would like some solid responses before Friday morning. I have to go back there by Friday with a new disc to have them install it :(.

Thanks,

Greg Heineken :talon:

I had the same exact problem. I used an older 2600 pressure plate with a brand new steet disc and the fingers rubbed against the srings which in return wasn't letting the clutch disingage. I then went down to the dealership and bought a stock disc and it worked fine...until the hub of the disc broke a week later.

This just happend to me too heres a pic ..i called act and they said i'm the first one to have this problem ..why dont u guys call act and tell them whats going on ..i dont think they made there new street disk and puck style disk any good ..but they need our feed back if no ones complaining then they aint gonna know

i talked to Richard B

i needed up dropping down my trans as well ..sucks

ps: this is on my 1992 laser awd 5 speed with a shep stage 3

Attachments

• Picture 538.jpg
    Picture 538.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 865
Wow i really thought it was just me having this problem and of course ACT on the phone is quick to blame everything and anything on me. Mine hit with both the street disk and the six puck. I gotta call them tomorrow to see what they say I guess. I put in the six puck because they told the 2900 doesn't technically have enough throw to disengage from a street disk. They think that all the people running that combination are just lucky.

Well I was told that it was disengaging too far by ACT today. He told me to screw the master cylinder back in so that it doesn't "disengage" so far. He said that that far would keep it from truly disengaging from the disc. So guess I will work on it this weekend. You all get yours working?

Yes i got mine working but if i adjust it so it does'nt hit the springs the clutch grabs to low ..like off the floor then if i make it grab any higher the pressure plate hits the disk springs...what a mess i'm a not happy pappy right now i dont think they did a good job making the new revise act street and sprung disk...only way we wont have any problems is if he install a 6 punk non sprung disk the pressure plate wont hit the springs cause it does'nt have any :cry:

Well I have heard good things about the clutchnet sixpuck and even called the guy and talked to him about ordering one. They are supposed to be thinner in the spring area than the act disc. I don't want to go unsprung at all. I decided I was going to just go with a fidanza 4.3. I couldn't get the clutch to disengage period it wouldn't crank in gear or go into gear running so after dropping the tranny multiple times and having ACT tell me something different everytime I talked to them, I am not putting it all back together to just adjust the rod after all this. If the fidanza six puck is thinner I might put it in with the 2900 but more than likely not going to.

Yikes, I was thinking of an ACT Clutch too. I want to hear more feedback about this than email the link to ACT.

Well ACT was finally right with one of their answers. I needed to adjust the master cylinder rod. I had a buddy help me out cause the fidanza didn't get it delivered on time. We got it in and adjusted but its pretty awful to drive. Between the extremely short amount of travel required to disengage and a ceramic six puck, its tough to drive. The 2900 has about half the amount of travel needed to disengage that my clutchmasters 2500 needed. If you move the clutch pedal off the floor that six puck is grabbing. I might swap in the street disc but I don't know how much milder mannered it would be seing as the engagement shouldn't change too much just the grabbiness of the disc I think.

Well ACT was finally right with one of their answers. I needed to adjust the master cylinder rod. I had a buddy help me out cause the fidanza didn't get it delivered on time. We got it in and adjusted but its pretty awful to drive. Between the extremely short amount of travel required to disengage and a ceramic six puck, its tough to drive. The 2900 has about half the amount of travel needed to disengage that my clutchmasters 2500 needed. If you move the clutch pedal off the floor that six puck is grabbing. I might swap in the street disc but I don't know how much milder mannered it would be seing as the engagement shouldn't change too much just the grabbiness of the disc I think.

Hey your 6 puck also grabbed right to the floor to??mine did as well but i adjusted it just enough to grab kinda high but not for the pressure plate fingers to hit the disk.. do u have a 6 puck sprung or non sprung? i think act made the springs way to big thats why they hit the pressure plate fingers :nono:

Yeah its the sprung one. I have it adjusted now so that if I mash the pedal really hard against the carpet there is just barely a clicking sound from the clutch fingers. I never push the pedal that far driving so I figured its ok. It's getting better now that its good and broken in as far as really grabby but it's still tough to take of without the whole car shuttering. How did you adjust it to grab kind of high but not hit the fingers? I think I might put the street disc I have in it so maybe its a bit more streetable but that won't be for at least a month. I actually got shipped the clutch net disc. The springs are smaller and they are encased much more, making it have a thinner center section. I didn't install it though because I planned on sending it back.

On another note do you have any driveline noise with your six puck? On engine braking there is almost a metal on metal sound in my car. I can't decide if its a problem or not. It sounds like a real fast rattle. Obviously it's tough for me to describe.

Wow, I think im glad I ordered my pressure plate and clutch a while back.. I will be home by sunday so I can see if I got one of the new ones.. Dont think I should have though.

Anyone know when they started putting the new revised ones out? I ordered mine.. hell I duno like 6 months ago I think..

It's not anything new at all for ACT to blame its customers for their own equipment malfunctions.

i had a 90 awd that i installed a 2600 street disc into - and the f-ing balancing pin on the outside of the pressure plate hit the inside of the bellhousing and wouldn't allow the engine to turn over

luckily i tryed spinning the engine by hand before trying to use the starter or else i may have cracked the bellhousing!

i called ACT and they would NOT replace the disc...and told me it was my problem!

i ended up grinding off a wee bit of the bellhousing to make it clear...

f-ing pissed me off to have to do 2 tranny jobs in a customer car

Yeah its the sprung one. I have it adjusted now so that if I mash the pedal really hard against the carpet there is just barely a clicking sound from the clutch fingers. I never push the pedal that far driving so I figured its ok. It's getting better now that its good and broken in as far as really grabby but it's still tough to take of without the whole car shuttering. How did you adjust it to grab kind of high but not hit the fingers? I think I might put the street disc I have in it so maybe its a bit more streetable but that won't be for at least a month. I actually got shipped the clutch net disc. The springs are smaller and they are encased much more, making it have a thinner center section. I didn't install it though because I planned on sending it back.

On another note do you have any driveline noise with your six puck? On engine braking there is almost a metal on metal sound in my car. I can't decide if its a problem or not. It sounds like a real fast rattle. Obviously it's tough for me to describe.

LOL same shit with me dude if i smash the clutch pedal all the way to the floor u hear the fingers hitting the disk springs so i adjusted it prefectly now ..took me like 20 -30 trys..still grabs kinda low but what u gonna do ...i would love to go back to the old style street disk but it only handles 400 ft of torque with the puck it handles 513..and my car went 11.0@ 132 so i will stick with the puck for now
i also heard the new style act street disks have the same center of the puck
( i posted a pic) so even with a street disk the springs might hit the pressure plate fingers :beatentodeath:

Yeah it will. I first installed it with a street disc. It's the exact same center as the six puck. Nice time btw. I wanted to run last night but hte strip was closed because of the possibility of rain I guess. Hopefully I can run soon.

Yeah it will. I first installed it with a street disc. It's the exact same center as the six puck. Nice time btw. I wanted to run last night but hte strip was closed because of the possibility of rain I guess. Hopefully I can run soon.

hey man cool good luck with it let me know how u make out i will do the same :rocks:

Question, because I just got back and looked at my clutch disk, and it is the new 4/8 spring one, so im curious if theres a way to tell if the pressure plate is new enough to use with this CD.

I just bought the above 6 puck disc, I'm about 1/2 way through my clutch job (trans is JUST ready to come out!) but I want to use it with a CFDF PP as my car doesn't make a whole pile of power (like 300whp tops, I have a t04b, fmic and 3" exhaust) and I am not crazy about the pedal effort of the 2600 for street use! (I have one in my rx-7).

What if I adjust the step height to compensate? Or would that make it not grab hard enough...

goddamn it, this stucks!

What if I file down the springs some? I suppose that would work better, even taking a few thou off the edges of the springs would probably help them not hit stuff. I'm going to have a real close look at the spring/finger interaction before I put the trans back in, hopefully it's not going to be a problem.

well I took a chance, installed the springs without doing anything...

6 puck ACT 2600 dual-spring disk, oldschool (used) CFDF PP.

Disengages without causing any issue. Step height on my flywheel is .605.

Engages 2" off the floor though )(*#)(*#$# :(

well I took a chance, installed the springs without doing anything...

6 puck ACT 2600 dual-spring disk, oldschool (used) CFDF PP.

Disengages without causing any issue. Step height on my flywheel is .605.

Engages 2" off the floor though )(*#)(*#$# :(

hey so what happends when you make it grab 3" off the floor do u hear the pressure plate rubbing the springs..i think act mess up when they made that new disk..we should all get together and complain so some thing gets done cause act is quik to blame the customer when something is wrong :nono:

no it does not rub the springs ever, at least I can't hear it do so.

My clutch m/c is going bad and that's what's causing the low disengagement (I believe)

The car passes a "creep test" with flying colors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back