The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Diamond-Like Carbon and bearing surfaces

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEz

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Iv'e ventured out of the DSM world and entered the rotary planet and am planing to try new things.
One of those things has been diamond-like carbon on the Apex Seals,side seals, and rotor bearings.

I wanted to know if anyone has had any succes with DLC on their bearing surfaces,

Opinions are welcomed.

Never used them. But, why rotary? Start turning up the wick on that thing, and your dsm will look like a fuel efficient, reliable, well built car.

Never used them. But, why rotary? Start turning up the wick on that thing, and your dsm will look like a fuel efficient, reliable, well built car.

It is true that pushing a stock 13b-renesis can be a bad deal. However, much like the 4g63 a rebuilt 13b is near bullet-proof. This has to do with how lenient Mazda was with side seal clearance out of factory. Not to mention the inferior stock coil pack which can cause mis-fires even on idle LOL.

But I was curious in something of DLC because of it being used in certain race engines since it disburses less friction when coated on parts like bearings. But when the DLC is not applied right and begins to flake off, it can spell disaster.

We've used DLC on some higher end engines on parts like valves, wrist pins, etc. I've seen DLC on Roller bearings and ball bearings but not babbit bearings.

We had a Porsche 911 engine earlier this year where the customer wanted everything coated. The crank, rods and valve springs were micro finished. The cylinder head chambers and ports were coated with a heat-resistant coating along with the piston crowns. The piston skirts, bearings and cams were coated with an anti-friction coated. The valves and wrist pins were DLC coated. Not sure how much of a HP increase it yielded, but it added about $6000 to his bill.

I bought some shelf stock JE pistons that came with useless .150 thick pins. so I searched ebay and found some thicker DLC pins from a nascar store. they are used but look new. paid 25 shipped for set of 8. while I cant recall every seeing pin wear even with thin pins I figured it cant hurt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back