The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dex/Merc Auto Trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zufelt

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2012
Lemoore, California
What's up guys, I keep reading that our AWD Auto Trans takes, ATF +4 Dex Merc, Spec II Spec III.. I'm beyond confused at this point. I have 6 quarts of Dex/Merc at my house, which would be great if I could use those.. if not then I was going to pick up this. The picture below, I would assume should answer my question. But I've heard to many different things so I want to verify now that the picture below is correct.. Here are the links I have read through as well. I was also curious of any additives that you guys have found useful.. thanks for any, and all info.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/best-type-of-auto-trans-fluid.413398/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/automatic-transmission-fluid.457813/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/transmission-fluid.404476/

I have always ran the B&M trickshift in mine. Have never had an issue. I think stm carries the OEM stuff.

In an auto you will kill it with dex without a bottle of lubeguard. Atf +4 is what you want.

Redline Racing ATF for me, recommended by Kevin @ Kiggly Racing.

Trans Fluid - a high film strength fluid is needed to keep the gears alive in these transmissions. It should also have very good high temperature breakdown resistance. I've had good luck with both John Deere Hy-Gard universal tractor fluid and Redline Racing ATF.

Thanks guys, glad I didn't just throw in the Dex/Merc like it says.. I picked up Vavoline ATF +4 today, I appreciate everyones help!

Trans Fluid - a high film strength fluid is needed to keep the gears alive in these transmissions. It should also have very good high temperature breakdown resistance. I've had good luck with both John Deere Hy-Gard universal tractor fluid and Redline Racing ATF.
At what mixture?

What's your temps run?

What power level are you on?

Which redline ATF? They have like 6 options.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=9

Any atf+4. Doesnt really matter too much on brand as they are all basically the same. I use supertech at $4 a qt.

I never had any issues with oreily's ATF+4, but I wasn't sure if it's kind of like motor oils in that, "not all 10w40's are created equal" so to speak due to various zinc content and such. Would all AFT+4's be created equal?

hey guys I just went through this same thing in my 1g fwd auto I ended up using atf+4 as they don't make the recommended 3 anymore but a little off topic... I replaced the trans filter being at 170k I figured it couldn't hurt. but my concern it the filters are the same design but are different... the filter cut outs to the filtering element there is 2 cut outs on the original and only 1 on the advanced one and also the original bolts wouldn't work in the advanced special filter they were too long the holes In which the bolts went through were much shorter so I got shorter bolts that worked and put it in. also used a bottle of lucus trans additive for good luck and surprising enough the recommended 5 quarts advanced said it would take was wrong only needed 3 1/2 with the lucus as the book said as a normal drain and fill would take... and I also notice the trans acting up slightly now from time to time. as in when coming to a stop it like to do a slight smack back into first but only once or twice has it done it and it was right after I changed the fluid and filter other then that seems to be normal but it just got me a little worried about it because that filter was different and the jerk it gave me once or twice ( personally thinking it was just getting back in sync or flushing some dirt out?)... I don't want to trash a good tranny over a 13$ filter.. any input about it is appreciated

I never had any issues with oreily's ATF+4, but I wasn't sure if it's kind of like motor oils in that, "not all 10w40's are created equal" so to speak due to various zinc content and such. Would all AFT+4's be created equal?

Chrystler has strict guild lines for atf+4. Licensing requires the blenders to use the additive package made by lubrizol, so functionally they are all pretty much the same.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back