The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General Developing a new ECU - fooling with the 2 step

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bastarddsm

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Mendota, Illinois
Over the last few months I've been working on the development of a new stand alone engine controller. Running a large VGT turbo and aiming for 150mph traps, I have different needs than the traditional stand alone user. IE I need to use a maf, and have some way of controlling the VGT. So far it's working out really well, I'm running a pmas HPX-F2, with the supplied airflow curve my maf calibration curve was nearly perfect, and only needed small changes.

Anyway, I've been tinkering with launch control, and had this little episode.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This happened about July29, my neighbors had been shooting fireworks small all day, the cops ended up raiding them after this because the cops thought they had some large fireworks they were not supposed to have. haha.

Last edited:
This seems very interesting, and promising.
So you are developing a PCB based on a microcontroller, or based on a existing platform?

So you and the neighbors get along real well I see. That cracks me up, funny shit man! :sneaky:
On the launch control, is the timing to far ATDC? Sounds like thats what was happening, but she was spooling before the "fireworks" or did my ears deceive me?

Yeah it's just a spark cut rev limit with the timing set to -5*btdc. So yes 5 atdc. Haha neighbors are fine they got a good laugh out of the whole deal. At 6500 it builds about 15-20psi regardless of what the timing is set at.

I was running a GTX style 11blade compressor wheel, and wow was this turbo awesome like that. The car would go 1.5 60's off a 5000rpm free rev. Hold it about 5000, go wot as you were letting the clutch out, it would pull down to about 4500, and boost would build to about 30psi like that. Worked slick as hell. Then, I had an issue last fall after the shootout and blew the compressor cover off the turbo, so I had to get a new wheel. I got a 6 blade this time, and wow did it kill the low end. I'm not sure if it is the wheel or explosion munched the compressor cover a bunch, and I didn't notice?

Well that sucks about the cover and tearing it up. I hate it when things are going along just fine and here comes the dam DSM gremlin. Would she hook at 30lbs? Or squiggle down the track a bit? You do post good times Curt.
Very interesting on your project standalone ECU!! Props man!

What's the specific need for the MAF?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back