The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil pan dent [Merged 3-9] bent dented sump oilpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSTsoon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
B'ham_Alabama
Well i dont think its normal....pretty sure its not, but theres a dime size dent right by the drain bolt on the oil pan....and its leaking. Is there any way of fixing this with some jb weld or some shit or do i have to buy a whole new pan? thanks.

The only issue I would say you might have is reduced oil pressure if the pan was tweaked enough to shove the pan against the oil pickup.

If you still have good oil pressure and no leaks, don't worry about it.

This is what you do to make sure your pan isn't gonna give you a problem...when/if you take it off to do the gasket...put a ring of oil around the entire top edge (where the mounting holes are) put a peice of cardboard down and lay the oil pan upside down ontop of that...lift it, look for any spots the oil pan didn't contact...this is allow you to tell if the pan was warped or tweaked from the pressure/dent. otherwise you should be golden. :thumb:

hey the mechanic who dropped in my engine during the swap supported it from the oil pan and now there is a decent size dent in it.. i was wondering if anything bad can come of this other then my dipstick being off or something?

From what I understand you have a 2nd gen 7 bolt right? 7 bolts have a dent that come with the car. Mine has one also. Thats one of the ways to tell the difference between 6 and 7 bolts. I just learned that yesterday from this forum so. I thought i had a dent also. Unless what you are talking about is the stock dent made bigger then i should just shut up.

trust me its a pretty decent size dent.. scratches.. the whole 9.. its not stock :toobad: can anyone just tell me if this is going to cause any trouble to the turbo/engine at all?

Here's a picture of the madness.

Attachments

• 102_1162_edited.JPG
    102_1162_edited.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 274
Hey, Did he drop it when it was out of the car? Thats pretty bad, I would suggest a new or used oil pan. I don't know about hurting anything, But I see potentials for leaks. :talon:

i have no idea what the hell happened to it.. the mechanics claim that it was like that when i gave it to them.. :mad: but as for the leaks.. mr. jbweld took care of that :thumb: :sneaky:

well i have to install a new turbo on my car later today so hopefully this wont be a problem or anything.. does anyone think it would effect performance or just reliability in any way?

EEK, WTF. I have a similar dent everyone describes with 7 bolts, I thought about replacing my oil pan but guess not.

talontsi02 said:
hey the mechanic who dropped in my engine during the swap supported it from the oil pan and now there is a decent size dent in it.. i was wondering if anything bad can come of this other then my dipstick being off or something?

The 7 Bolt oil pan dent is on the side of the pan facing the timing belt. The dent you have after looking at the photo is very bad and should be replaced asap! It looks like it was dropped and drug on the ground. Your oil capcity went down a little so just fill your oil a little higher than the full line in the dip stick until you get the pan replaced :dsm:

That is a really bad dent. It looks really close to the oil pick up screen as well. If that cant pick up any oil, hello sized motor. I would replace that immiedatly if I was you.

TotalEclipse112 said:
That is a really bad dent. It looks really close to the oil pick up screen as well. If that cant pick up any oil, hello sized motor. I would replace that immiedatly if I was you.

I'll second that. There's very little clearance between the bottom of the oil pickup and
the pan. From the looks of it, you will have *no* clearance. Replace the pan, and while it's
off inspect the pickup tube for cracks.

M

LOL :tease: :tease: you have a 7 bolt engine its sposed to be like that. Yeh it might have got bigger but there has always been a dent......if your car is like 95 of up its has a 7 bolt engine therefore has a dented oil pan

the dent is on the side of the pan not the bottom... dont say anything unless you know what your talking about.

Mod Edit: Play nice, I don't want to have to come in here because someone reports your post. This is your only warning. - leet

Is that silver a big gob of JB Weld?! Is that the drain plug I see hanging off the back? Dude.. I would change that thing yesterday.

If you mechanic hasn't done it already, have him pull the oil pan and check the pickup to make sure it wasn't damaged. I made a similar sized dent with my Subaru and I ended up bending 2 connecting rods after it made enough of a kink to drop the oil pressure dangerously low.

haha ok ok i'll change it out. The engine actually runs fine I drove it home from the mechanics which was a 1.5 hour drive on the freeway and nothing was wrong with it. However the new turbo blew because it wasn't primed, I'm guessing. So now its getting rebuilt again. I'm just trying to eliminate any possible reasons for it to take a $hit again. I'll just go junkyard hunting sometime next week.

Spoolin4Ever said:
Looks like shitt to me, change it ASAP! No need to put a new turbo on it until you have done so. Looks REALLY bad.

No more JB Weld! Fix it right or sell it :thumb:

JB Weld is crazy. I put just a huge gob of it on a small leak to make sure it wasn't a problem anymore. Its pretty damn fugly yea, but gets the job done for now.

i could have sworn that the bump if on the bottom of it......last time i checked my exhaust that pipe in the pic is on the side and the bump is where mine is also just not as big.

i have a 99 gst spyder and while changing the oil today i saw that the oil pan was pretty dented up. i was wondering if that was going to be a big problem.. i have been driving for like 6,000 miles since the last time i checked it, and there are no leaks or tears. is this something that i need to keep an eye on or is it something that needs to replaced now no questions asked?

If you're not leaking, you might have a reduced capacity of a few ounces.
Put it out of your mind, you're fine. The oil pan is just a place for the oil to drain into when the motor's not running.
If they accept your application to run at LeMans this June, replace it first.

Defiant said:
If you're not leaking, you might have a reduced capacity of a few ounces.
Put it out of your mind, you're fine. The oil pan is just a place for the oil to drain into when the motor's not running.
If they accept your application to run at LeMans this June, replace it first.

LOL thanks man

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back