The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Denatured Alcohol to PASS Emissions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi1991awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2008
Puyallup, Washington
How much denatured alcohol do I need to pass emissions? I have an open downpipe...going to be getting 3 inch exhaust to the back so I can do the emissions test.

I think you run the fuel to almost empty then put in a gallon o alcohol? Cant remember. I can smell the fuel when my car i running. Plus no cat so I KNOW i wont pass.

Anybody know?

I can drive around downtown Indy in the middle of the day with an open downpipe and never get pulled over.

Really??? Me too! And I have been doing it for 4 or 5 months now. That is NOT what we are talking about. You cannot go to an emissions test and try to pass with an open downpipe....havent you read anything?

I was told by 1g owners in cali that they can't put the car on rollers (awd) and they can't plug into and check monitors pre obd2 so that made 1g awd smog exempt. Can anyone verify?

I was told by 1g owners in cali that they can't put the car on rollers (awd) and they can't plug into and check monitors pre obd2 so that made 1g awd smog exempt. Can anyone verify?

"Smog exempt"? I've never heard of this. For the 20 years I've owned my AWD I've had to get a smog check every other year. None of the smog stations I've used have had a 4 wheel roller system so my car has never been on the rollers. If I recall correctly, all the technician did was a visual check, a tailpipe sniff test at idle and some higher RPM, a gas cap leak test, EGR functional test and base ignition timing check.

you could get a PO box out side of the county, or can you not do that many more.

Did emissions today. I had about 1/8th of a tank of gas, put it one gallon of denatured alcohol from Home Depot. Drove to the testing station and passed with flying colors. The tech read the inspection report and had a dumbfounded look on her face. So yes, this does work (proved it again myself)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats a good thing to know, Ive never had to do an emissions test, I register my vehicles in Montana, but if I ever need to test Ill be sure to remember this!

Unfortunately the alcohol will not make you pass the visual. Here I didnt have to do the rollers...just revvd to 2500 and sniffed at idle as well. That was it.

They also test your EVAP system in California and some places will fail you on visual even if it's just a shiny recirculated bov.

Yup, Cali is starting to get real strick with smog. I got officers questioning/threating me to smog my car even tho it just passed. I Have a guy that would pass me on visual but wouldn't pass me because my emissions systems are not hooked up. I need to live "out of state".

I am not sure if she did a visual on my car. She had me pop the hood and then looked for about a minute...maybe she was admiring my intercooler piping and turbo XD

All of the vac lines on the throttlebody are looped together, EGR b lockoff plate, etc. I passed though.

ALSO, on the letter I got in the mail from the DOL, it said in big red bold letters "emissions required" yet when I went to get my new tabs, I brought in the test results and the guy didnt even look at the paper. Makes me wonder if I REALLY needed it or if he ASSUMED i passed since I brought it in.

I always put denatured alcohol in my 79 4x4 blazer to get it to pass. It has a 383 stroker motor and 35X16 in Super Swamper Boggers. It has to put out to the same standard as stock so that's usually quite a challenge. I've heard of this trick from some of the old school muscle car guys. I would be worried about putting it in my Talon and getting into boost. It will change your air fuel ratio and possibly cause knock. They just plug in the OBDII and a visual on my Talon. They have never sniffed the pipe. Phoenix is pretty strict on emissions, not as bad as Cali though.

I can drive around downtown Indy in the middle of the day with an open downpipe and never get pulled over.

I got pulled over while touring Purdue's campus this past August...all I had at the time was a muffler hung with no pipe in between the downpipe and the muffler...Guy said since I was a "out of towner" he'd cut me a warning. I hope he was just having a bad day cause I start school there soon! EEKS they will hate meh.

Actually on these cars turbos act a LITTLE as a cat, because of the heat... When I bought my car in 1999, it was bone stock everything. I drove it like this for several years and the first 2-3 years, I was passing inspection/emissions, legaly with nothing... Later on when I started doing mods and pull the stock exhaust out, I saw the cat was fully gutted, basically passed with no cat.

Yea first time I heard about it was when I needed my Camaro to pass...it worked the time I had to go back, just didnt remember how much to use which is why I made this thread.

Also, OBDII cars do not get the sniff test, just a check on the computer. OBDI gets the sniffers, which is why youve never had to do it.

Yea first time I heard about it was when I needed my Camaro to pass...it worked the time I had to go back, just didnt remember how much to use which is why I made this thread.

Also, OBDII cars do not get the sniff test, just a check on the computer. OBDI gets the sniffers, which is why youve never had to do it.

In CA OBDII cars get the sniffer.

Damn, CA is stricter than I thought. Sucks for you guys...unless you have a really good tune. I know here in WA they adopted CA testing laws, except they only apply to cars that are 2009+

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back