The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Delta "HKS272 Regrind" Info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bastarddsm

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Mendota, Illinois
Been gonna do this for a while... Finally strapped the degree wheel to my shortblock, installed solid lifters, and measured the cams.

These were sold to me by Delta, as HKS 272 profile, all measurements taken with zero valve lash, installed with AEM TRUE TIMES ZEROED OUT. My block was decked .010", and the head .005".

They are .394" peak lift on intake, and .385" lift on exhaust.

Timing at .001" lift:
IVO: 25 BTDC
IVC: 67 ABDC 272* duration seat to seat

EVO: 72 BBDC
EVC: 24 ATDC 276* Duration seat to seat

Timing at .050" lift
IVO: 6 ATDC
IVC: 36 ABDC 210* duration @ .050" lift

EVO: 35 BBDC
EVC: 5 BTDC 210* duration at .050" lift

Also, I am running JE pistons pn 208478, at zero deck height, with a felpro gasket.

Piston to valve clearance:

Gears fully retarded: (-12*)
Intake: .220"
Exhaust: .070"

Gears zeroed out:
Intake: .150"
Exhaust: .170"

Gears Full Advanced: (12*)
Intake: .050"
Exhaust .250"

My old standard wiseco's have bigger valve reliefs.

Attachments

• 272regrinds.jpg
    272regrinds.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 190
with shims aka 10mm washers or without ???

well, if you use solid lifters it doesn't matter.

Nitrouskris, the shims used under the HLAs is to keep the HLAs in the working area of them, so they do not over extend, this is needed only with the smaller than stock base circle cams, regrinds.

Regrinds commonly have a .030-.050 smaller base circle.

Another way to offset for a smaller base circle is to adjust the valve tip height taller, but if this is done, then a cam swap is done to a stock base circle, you have the a chance of 2 things going wrong, 1 the valves will crack off the valve seat, 2 the hlas will bottom out.

Bastarddsm +rep given! :hellyeah:

Nitrouskris, the shims used under the HLAs is to keep the HLAs in the working area of them, so they do not over extend, this is needed only with the smaller than stock base circle cams, regrinds.

Regrinds commonly have a .030-.050 smaller base circle.

Another way to offset for a smaller base circle is to adjust the valve tip height taller, but if this is done, then a cam swap is done to a stock base circle, you have the a chance of 2 things going wrong, 1 the valves will crack off the valve seat, 2 the hlas will bottom out.

Bastarddsm +rep given! :hellyeah:

I installed my dks 272's without shims because I could see that the lifters were already compressed a little at the shortest point on the lobe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back