The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Deleting the powersteering pump from belt curcuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody Panda

10+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2012
Homer Glen, Illinois
I was wondering if there is a belt available to shorten the length and delete the power steering pump out of the belt system. What length will it need to be? Also, what is the procedure that needs to be done to do this. Another side note, could someone point me in the right direction of a manual steering rack for a 1g MT Awd. :thumb:

just get the manual rack from a 1.8 1g. When you have the car back and running well, remove the power steering pump and belt.
The power steering belt goes with the water pump pulley, witch is also working with the alternator.All you have to do is remove the power steering and re install the alternator belt and you are good to go.

Real easy to do the 1.8 rack bolts right in. Cleans up the engine bay. Leaving you more room for a larger manifold , turbo, and waste gate setup.

.All you have to do is remove the power steering and re install the alternator belt and you are good to go.

This.

The power steering is ran by the water pump. The water pump is ran by the alternator belt. So if you got rid of the power steering, you would just leave the PS belt off and let the alternator belt run the water pump like it already does.

Or just cut off the ps belt if you have no intentions of ever putting back on LOL.

just get the manual rack from a 1.8 1g. When you have the car back and running well, remove the power steering pump and belt.
The power steering belt goes with the water pump pulley, witch is also working with the alternator.All you have to do is remove the power steering and re install the alternator belt and you are good to go.

I have removed the power steering on my dirt car. Would it be beneficial for me to swap into a 1.8 rack? I have a 90 2.0 na and have a 93 1.8 eclipse roller available, I just assumed they were the same?

Thanks for the help guys. I got a hole in one of the lines on my PS rack and the only thing I can do is put a new rack but after driving with no PS for a while, I kinda like it LOL. So I might just remove the PS pump and get a manual rack. I'm having trouble finding one though.

I think I'm just going to cut my PS belt off until I get a manual rack. The car idles funny at stop lights because it's trying to get fluid into the rack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back