The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

decoding engine block numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3BarDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2006
olive branch, Mississippi
Ive been reading that the best way to identify a block was to check the block stamp on the passenger side by the tranny, well I found the number but cant find anything on checking what means what. Its all numbers and the tenth is the letter V, thats the only letter. I am checking the right spot correct, has the mitubishi sign then the numbers are in three lines across? Im trying to make sure I have a 6 bolt block, it has the 6 bolt pan but someone could have just swapped it over. Either way does anyone have a way of checkin these I only keep coming up with chassis vin numbers over and over.

Thanks for any and all help

Oh Ill get the whole number up in the morning.

In addition to the VIN, both of my blocks have 4G63 and an ID number stamped into a flat spot on the front of the engine. Just above the entry hole for the dipstick tube.

Vin # is on pass. side, just below the head mating surface, facing the passenger side. 17 digits, 9th digit is year indicator. Also, if the engine is complete, look for the timing belt auto tensioner. If the bolts that hold it to the front case are on same side, that's 6 bolt. If they on opposite sides, that's 7bolt.

Those pics don't tell anything. Pull the pan off. If the girdle is one entire piece, it's a 7bolt. If it's 2 separate pieces, it's a 6 bolt.

The 10th digit is the year...

This makes me curious about the block I just got ... from what I can read it's...

JA3CX56U7MZ009178

Edit:

Origin: Japan
Years: 1991
Makes: Mitsubishi
Models: Galant
SubModel: VR-4 Sport AWD
Engines: 2.0 L 1997 CC L4 DOHC

alright I think Im looking at the wrong number, it has a diamond star sign the begins with MIT7048112V972170...I really doubt thats it, cause for one that spot isnt dirty like the block is, but it is on the left side by the head.I can not see any other number at this point so unless I move somethings around to see the number Ill just wait till I change the pan to check the girdle.

Pull the pan off. If the girdle is one entire piece, it's a 7bolt. If it's 2 separate pieces, it's a 6 bolt.

Minor detail, but the DSM 6-bolt girdle has 3 separate pieces. :thumb:

Oil pans are not interchangeable. If you have a 6-bolt oil pan, you can be certain you have a 6-bolt engine.

The 10th digit is the year...

This makes me curious about the block I just got ... from what I can read it's...

JA3CX56U7MZ009178

Edit:

Origin: Japan
Years: 1991
Makes: Mitsubishi
Models: Galant
SubModel: VR-4 Sport AWD
Engines: 2.0 L 1997 CC L4 DOHC

It' a 91.
L=1990
M=1991
N=1992
etc

alright I think Im looking at the wrong number, it has a diamond star sign the begins with MIT7048112V972170...I really doubt thats it, cause for one that spot isnt dirty like the block is, but it is on the left side by the head.I can not see any other number at this point so unless I move somethings around to see the number Ill just wait till I change the pan to check the girdle.

That's not it. It's directly below the head surface on the pass side of the motor. Probably right above where the water pipe runs under the throttle body.

Well the pan comes out not in like a seven bolt, and yea I was way off on the number, thanks for the info everyone

I used the digram above to find the number for my block but the VIN i gave to the mitsubishi parts department they say is not valid.

I have stamped on my block: 4E3CT64U4LE143683.
On the back side under the intake manifold there is 4G63 - KE1373

Any idea what this code means?

It's a 1990 4G63 turbo block from an AWD Eagle Talon. Mitsubishi can't look those up any more. Note that the above "diagrams" have been edited for actual pictures to help people in the future.

Decoding VINs

So do we know what the stamp on the otherside is for? Mine is 4G63 UK3705???

Hate to renew the thead but I also would like to know the meaning of the # below 4g63

4: cylinders
G: gasoline fuel
63: internal Mitsubishi code for 2.0 liter displacement
T: Turbo
Also Mitsubishi has notes which vary slightly from the above, which state:
4: cylinders
G: gasoline engine, Iron block
6: engine series
3: engine model
T: turbo

Bringing it back cause no one said it yet, whats the engraved numbers below where it says 4g63 on the flat spot on the front balance shaft, i know what my motor is, but I'm curious what those numbers actually represent. Mine say JM7948

It is actually the engine's serial number. As far as I can see it represents nothing more than order of manufacture for the block itself.

At least for 1G 2.0L engines, I'm pretty certain this is another thing one can look at when there is a question whether the engine is a 6-bolt or 7-bolt. Anything up to NH0001 is a 6-bolt; anything after is a 7-bolt.

It is actually the engine's serial number. As far as I can see it represents nothing more than order of manufacture for the block itself.

At least for 1G 2.0L engines, I'm pretty certain this is another thing one can look at when there is a question whether the engine is a 6-bolt or 7-bolt. Anything up to NH0001 is a 6-bolt; anything after is a 7-bolt.
Interesting! Thanks for clearing that up, theres a bunch of numbers on our motors everywhere good to know one more!

So o just bought a 97eclipse gs,and so far the only block stamp I've found is J2j6 and below is 4557652

Not sure if the crank girdle is accessible.
If i can see the 3rd journal in on cuddle.
This is what a 98 or 99 looks like

Attachments

• 20170831_090402.jpg
    20170831_090402.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 20170831_090351.jpg
    20170831_090351.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 428
Not the best image, but I finally found this. Bought my 2002 Lancer OZ Rally with an engine and transmission not originally in the car and a homemade turbo setup done the cheapest way possible. Been a lot of parts to fix and replace, last was the entire oil pan because he thought RTV would seal the massive hole he made for the turbo oil return. Now the clutch fork broke because he didn't adjust that correctly when putting a new clutch in. I need to find out if this is a 4G63 or what so I can buy a clutch fork for it and get it running again.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back