The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Decided not to spend 500$ on rims, going to paint the wheels black. any thoughts?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
Ya, i have a 91 talon, with dreaded laser wheels, i cannot stand that at all, but ive found they have a nice chrome lip, so i decided to rip em off since they are caked with brake dust and old dirty paint, throw some aircraft remover on em and spray them black, i figured i could either spend 500$ on rims, or just not worry about my apperance and just buy something new and shiney for my motor., anyone agree with this?:thumb: :talon:

Wheels look good! here is my how to for the next person.....

"HOW TO PAINT YOUR WHEELS"

step 1. wash wheels with dawn soap.

step 2. lightly sand wheels with 400 grit sand paper. you dont need to go real deep, just enough to skuff the finish so teh paint can stick to the wheel.

step 3. Re wash wheels with dawn and dry completly!!!

step 4. Coat tires with car wash soap or some thick tire shine so any overspray will not stick to the tires.

step 5. Then use a deck of playing cards to stick between the tire and rim to keep paint off the tires.

step 6. spray wheels with Duplicolor black sandable primer. Spray light coats on until the wheel is thoroughly covered. rotate wheels until your done.

step 7. Once the primer is dry spray light coats of Duplicolor wheel coating. Continue applying coats until thoroughly covered, but give it some time in between coats so you get a smooth surface.

step 8. When the wheels have been left to dry for around an hour or so, lightly spray on duplicolors wheel clearcoat. remember that the more clearcoat you apply the more the finish will change. If you just lightly hit the wheel with clear coat the finish will not change.

Tips. I found that spraying the outer lip of the wheel on the ground then removeing the playing cards, then rolling the wheel on the driveway while i sprayed helped the can stay more vertical and i could get into the nooks and crannies better. This also allows for more paint on the wheel and less wasted overspray.

I used

2 cans - Duplicolor Black sandable wheel primer
2 cans - Duplicolor Graphite wheel coating
1 can - Duplicolor wheel clear coat

i had a little extra graphite coating and 3/4 of a can of clear left over

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pic

Attachments

• my_evo_011.jpg
    my_evo_011.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 711
I donno man even if someone gave me the 500 id still keep my stock black rims they look sooo sexy! but its your chose do what you like not what others think :)

Brad :)

I used the Duplicolor wheel paint also.

I had a mixed otucome. I used two cans. Can one produced a very nice, smooth finish with minimal metallic flake. Can two produced a rough, VERY metallic (and a bit darker) finish. I emailed duplicolor about it to let them know, and they offered to refund the purchase price of the paint. I am happy with the outcome, since the rims painted were only winter rims. They look WAY better than they did stock.
I just dont think I used enough clear coat. They chip pretty easily. But, can't go wrong for like 20 bucks.

Here are some pics

here is the two shots that shows the differnt finish in the panit cans.
Can one. nice, smooth, with a bit of metallic flake

Can two. Rough, with lots of metallic flake

The wheels look good. You cant go wrong with a black wheel and silver lip. That's the same way I have my stockers painted. :thumb:

yes.. i painted my rims on my old talon.... new talon has kosei K1s :) love those rims..

Beautiful!

Im buying 1gb rims tomorrow and plan on painting them in the next week...

What color is that? Duplicolor Graphite?

Also, what did you do to get the lip so polished? ---> sanding process, materials. etc

i used this cheap paint from walmart, LOL idk what it was, anyways, i just used mothers mag and alum polisher. no sanding

now i can see why cheap paint sucks, i took my wheels to get new rubber put on, and they were scratched to hell...

The guy I bought my rims from painted the centers gold and the outside lip looks terrible. Im gonna take those steps above. I will post pics as soon as im done.

what do i use to polish the lips? ### mines are terrible. I have those 97 GSX rims. I was thinking about using brasol but i only use those on belt buckles so i dont know it will work or not.

only 3 wheels painted :p you got a special car over there turbotalon12 show me how my car can run on 3 wheels ;) btw nice jobs you guys. efforts always pay off :D

Spoolio said:
now i can see why cheap paint sucks, i took my wheels to get new rubber put on, and they were scratched to hell...

shouldve gone to a shop with a "touchless" tire remover.

Pic

When you say the more clear coat you use the more it changes the color do you mean it gets more shiny or more dull the more clear coat you use

I used silver Duplicolor Hi-Perf Wheel Coating on some of my old rims and DO NOT recommend wetsanding before clear coating(thought I'd try it, the color ended up very uneven before it did any good), or clear coating right away. Wait about an hour(no more than 2) after the last color coat to put the clear on otherwise the paint will take forever to cure. After a couple weeks I could still put my fingernail into it. Use light coats and don't touch the paint with your hand for a couple days after if possible, the silver on mine yellowed a bit because I'm impatient :rolleyes: At least I know what NOT to do. :p

Wetsanding and polishing the clearcoat on the other hand yields an incredibly smooth glossy finish, but in my experience the wheel coating color coat will never have a finish where you can see yourself no matter what you do. When the light hits the clearcoat though, it shines :thumb:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151942&highlight#6

i say to paint rims properly do it powder coated buy one from sears there powder coater is preety good

I have 18" silver wheels and they have a polished lip and wanted them powder coated black but wanted to keep the polished lip. The powder coat shops said they have to powder coat the whole wheel because if you try to mask the lip off it will come out choppy and look bad after they remove the tape from powder coating. So I guess I will try to paint them black so I can keep the polished lip. For the guys that have painted theres how long has it been and have you seen any chipping?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back