The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Debate Topic: Drug Criminalization

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartels903

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2004
Gahanna, Ohio
I got this topic from defiants post in the term paper thread.
Lets keep it clean, no hardcore arguing, maybe it will stay unlocked.

Personal thoughts on the topic: Drugs are bad, to an extent. I smoke a little bit of pot before I go to bed, who do I hurt. No one besides myself, I snort a line of coke before I eat my dinner at my house, who do I hurt, nobody. As long as a drug use does not interfere with others lifes who can tell you that you can not do it.

Government thoughts: We legalize all drugs, we have crack heads who will rob for crack, we have cocaine users driving under the influence and wrecking and ruining someones life.

When do you cross the line as a drug user, use in moderation is something that would need to be learned, but as long as it does not turn into a addiction/problem why does the government feel the need to throw you in jail for something as little as smoking some pot to calm your nerves.

Discuss.

EDIT: I don't do cocaine, figure of speech

My personal stance is: Anything that grows naturally should be legal if you are not endangering anyone else in the process. There is too many 'nanny-state' laws on the books. I have a BIG problem with how large and encompassing our Government has become. Greed will be it's downfall and I will be there to dance at the ashes of the wake.

This thread will be locked but I don't really care. You have five earth minutes, make your time.

I dont think it's so much the fact of people doing drugs in their house thats bad. It's the process that it taken to get the drugs to that point that is the issue at hand. I DO NOT agree that all drugs should be leagalized. I dont do any drugs personally but have experimented in the past. Another problem is MOST people cant keep or stay in control of themselves when under the influence of drugs, especially meth. I dont think marijuana is bad and i semi-agree with what LEET said about grown naturally.

I imagine I can see your argument with my post.

Such as forced labor regarding naturally grown products and things like that. I agree.. it's no good.

If you want to consume things such as that, grow them yourself. The only naturally grown thing I'd take issue with is opiates, they can be rather ruinous in ALL circumstances.

Why legalize something that can hurt you? Pot is alright (from what I know on the matter) and doesn't seem to have PROVEN long-lasting effects, however why argue for the government to legalize cocaine?

"It's my life! And if I want to hurt myself I'm going to damn well do it!"

A solution may be some in-depth government-based studies.

It's the utter and inevitable possibility that these drugs could take over and destroy someone's life---if abused.

You really can't throw marijuana into the same category as coke and heroin, because you can't die from overdosing on marijuana. Plus it's naturally grown with less additives and harmful effect than cigarette tobacco. The fact the government outlaws it is only contradictory to their tolerance of smoking tobacco.

Coke, heroin, or anything above are serious though. They can easily takeover and destroy lives. Not to mention one night of heavy partying can kill you.

Whereas, if you smoke too much marijuana and you'll just go to sleep...

You really can't throw marijuana into the same category as coke and heroin, because you can't die from overdosing on marijuana. Plus it's naturally grown with less additives and harmful effect then cigarette tabacco. The fact the government outlaws it is only contradictory to their tolerance of smoking tabacco.

Actually, it's more due to various industries lobbying against it, most notably cotton.

I remember a story where some tribe of Native Americans started growing hemp to use for textiles (clothing and such).. the DEA came in, scolded them and told them they couldn't. A later court ruling determined that the plants could grow, but never be harvested ANY reason. That tribe still depends on the Government for what little livelihood they have.. I'll see if I can find the news articles on that again.

The irony is that they allow some tribes to utilize peyote for religious purposes. Even that is Government controlled. Who are these people going to hurt? We already ####ed them over royally.

Hemp in of itself is a very useful material.. more so than cotton. Plus, when we run out petroleum distillates and coal(hehe), what are we going to make rope out of? Certainly not nylon :)

I think all drugs should be banned. Some people would disagree, but , ehh, just my feeling. Like someone said before, coke, meth, X, and others can really f$$k people up and ruin others lives as well. And its not fair to others how it could possibly make injure someone else. For instance, a little crackhead, looking for money, and kills somebody for 20 bucks to get his fix. The sad part is that it happens.

James :laser::talon:

Well, for your example, murder is murder, regardless of extenuating circumstances.. as are robbery and other violent crimes committed in the name of gaining funds.

If you hurt or kill someone (not in defense of your life or others under your protection), regardless of the reason, you are going to penalised for it.

A person is responsible for their own actions, stone sober or otherwise. The Government does not (and cannot really afford) to babysit them through feel good legislation. I've read of plenty of people who commit offenses while under the effects of alcohol, yet that is still legal?

Alcohol is what should be illegal ! It does way more damage to the person using it and others around than any "illegal" drugs do. But that is just how I feel, I'm sure most people love the fact that you can go to a drive-through liquor store! and get way more messed up at a fraction of the cost.

Alcohol is what should be illegal ! It does way more damage to the person using it and others around than any "illegal" drugs do.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that statement, I've seen plenty of meth addicts around here. Talk about really messed up.

Well, alcohol ruins lives and kills on a regular basis yet it is legal. You have to learn to be a responsible user or get into trouble with it. Oh, and it is a manufactured drug, albeit with natural ingredients. Hard liquor is "cooked" to produce it. Cigarettes are very unatural in the state they are sold in today and are also proven to be carcinogenic and physically addictive.

The alcohol and tobacco industries also lobby against legalizing marijuana (the most likely drug to be legalized in the US.)

The problem I have with the manufactured drugs is their highly addictive nature and how destructive they are. They destroy your body, mind, families and communities. I think the people who sell those should be punished so severely they will never dream of doing it in the first place.

I do agree that the soft, non-addictive drugs (pot and mushrooms) should be legalized, regulated and sold just like other legal drugs. I also agree that opiates should not due to their highly addictive nature. But does this mean that cigarettes should be illegal because of their addictiveness?

The last thing the government wants to do is legalize marijuana. They'll make less money if a pack of joints costs the same as a pack of cigarettes.

The part that irks me the most is that tobacco and alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana, yet it's legal. I have yet to find a logical reasoning behind that (one that does not have anything to do with money).

Sorry Paul, but I can almost guarantee you te answer is money these days. I think it used to be because of the moral objectors but not so much anymore.

The last thing the government wants to do is legalize marijuana. They'll make less money if a pack of joints costs the same as a pack of cigarettes.

The part that irks me the most is that tobacco and alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana, yet it's legal. I have yet to find a logical reasoning behind that (one that does not have anything to do with money).

You mean that the CIA will make less. ;)

Let's say you had to get a ride from a friend. You have to choose one. Your buddy that drank a 6 pack of beer or your other buddy who smoked 6 joints. Who would you get in with?

I would ride with the stoner for sure. Ya booze ya looze! (whilst driving)

Just sayin'

They tried to ban alcohol during prohibition but it didn't work out because gangster where making a killing(millions) brewing and selling illegally. Anything that cannot be taxed is illegal no matter what, people who see marijuana make taxless money therefore uncle Sam doesn't get paid. AS LONG AS UNCLE SAM DOESN"T GET PAID ITS ILLEGAL, NO TARIFF NO GOOD. If they legalize marijuana and coke the govt won't be able to tell which one is taxed and which is not, why buy from a store when Tyrone sells it on the corner cheaper. Think it as a loss for the govt and corporations most tobacco companies will lose customers and I doubt marijuana plants will make any money because again tyrone's got the hookup from Mexico and now grows it in his backyard.

The part that 'erks' me the most is that tobacco and alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana, yet it's legal. I have yet to find a logical reasoning behind that (one that does not have anything to do with money).

The words, " Dont care" and " Corrupted" comes to mind.
The Government will kill us if its profit-able to them,
and they have and will continue to do so...

They tried to ban alcohol during prohibition but it didn't work out because gangster where making a killing(millions) brewing and selling illegally. Anything that cannot be taxed is illegal no matter what, people who see marijuana make taxless money therefore uncle Sam doesn't get paid. AS LONG AS UNCLE SAM DOESN"T GET PAID ITS ILLEGAL, NO TARIFF NO GOOD. If they legalize marijuana and coke the govt won't be able to tell which one is taxed and which is not, why buy from a store when Tyrone sells it on the corner cheaper. Think it as a loss for the govt and corporations most tobacco companies will lose customers and I doubt marijuana plants will make any money because again tyrone's got the hookup from Mexico and now grows it in his backyard.

That's a load of crap. Given the opportunity to purchase a pack of joints at the discount smoke shop or take the time to grow your own, it will be far easier for a consumer based society to just go buy a pack. Your analogy implies that people would rather grow their own tobacco plants rather than pay the hefty taxes. The truth behind marijuana is heavily influenced by politics, corporate greed, and propaganda. A proper search on wikipedia, norml, and finally one of my favorite: Who’s Really in Prison for Marijuana? - ONDCP

The last website appears to give much truer numbers to the whole penal system/marijuana debate. My final 2 cents, manufactured drugs have always been bad whether alcohol, processed opiates, or cigarettes. Educating the masses about the truth of drugs instead of teaching our kids drugs are bad and giving them just enough knowledge to be dangerous would greatly improve society. Here is something to laugh about: My daughter just finished DARE and will graduate from the program. When she gets her "diploma", she will also be given a plastic card that entitles her to free sodas at McDonalds. Seems pretty hypocritical that they spent so much time teaching my daughter that marijuana is bad; not touching on pills at all, and then feeding her caffiene, high fructose corn syrup addiction. What a load of crap.

d

That makes sense, but knowing the demand of this stuff the prices im sure would find a way to go thru the roof, and im sure the government would find another way to manipulate the situation some how with some new regulations.

Not to mention some people may be embarrassed by of going to a store for it ( in the public proffessional eye ). May not be like getting a pack of cigs. A rough example would be just like some people embarrassed to go to a adult store to buy sexual devices / toys so theyd rather order them online. ( before theres any jokes; no i dont own any such thing LOL) But im sure not everyone thinks nothing of something like that. Therefore they may would rather get it from a outside resource.

Also i think if shops were able to legally carry marijuana there would also be a lot of threat towards store employees, innocent people shopping- because this would cause constant robberies, especially in certain areas and not all robberies end with the thief just taking what he wanted; specifically at gun point....

I dont know maybe im just rambling; its late.

Anyways Good link .

That's a load of crap. Given the opportunity to purchase a pack of joints at the discount smoke shop or take the time to grow your own, it will be far easier for a consumer based society to just go buy a pack. Your analogy implies that people would rather grow their own tobacco plants rather than pay the hefty taxes. The truth behind marijuana is heavily influenced by politics, corporate greed, and propaganda. A proper search on wikipedia, norml, and finally one of my favorite: Who’s Really in Prison for Marijuana? - ONDCP

The last website appears to give much truer numbers to the whole penal system/marijuana debate. My final 2 cents, manufactured drugs have always been bad whether alcohol, processed opiates, or cigarettes. Educating the masses about the truth of drugs instead of teaching our kids drugs are bad and giving them just enough knowledge to be dangerous would greatly improve society. Here is something to laugh about: My daughter just finished DARE and will graduate from the program. When she gets her "diploma", she will also be given a plastic card that entitles her to free sodas at McDonalds. Seems pretty hypocritical that they spent so much time teaching my daughter that marijuana is bad; not touching on pills at all, and then feeding her caffiene, high fructose corn syrup addiction. What a load of crap.

d

You must be a nice little rich kid that lives in the boonies where crimes that happen on the news shock you. I guess when they say that "America is shocked by------ "they're talking to you because your sheltered from the action.

Everything you said makes sense on paper and cute DARE( I have my cert) programs but we live in the real world where real shit happens. Its about business plain and simple BUSINESS people die in the dope game everyday because of MONEY MONEY and MONEY.

That's a load of crap. Given the opportunity to purchase a pack of joints at the discount smoke shop or take the time to grow your own, it will be far easier for a consumer based society to just go buy a pack. Your analogy implies that people would rather grow their own tobacco plants rather than pay the hefty taxes. The truth behind marijuana is heavily influenced by politics, corporate greed, and propaganda. A proper search on wikipedia, norml, and finally one of my favorite: Who’s Really in Prison for Marijuana? - ONDCP

d

Your mindset is all wrong, growing pot isn't all that hard and you pick what you grow. With the right setup one can produce enough pot to enjoy and sell some discounted without tax year round. The setup would more than likley pay for itself in one batch. DARE is a bullshit program teaching about "drugs" and "drugs" to them is marijuana. Its a non harmful substance on which someone with an "addiction" wont hurt anyone beyond themselves with that "addiction"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back