The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dealer wants too much for Front Hub Assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotwheelsGSX

Probationary Member
Mar 25, 2003
IllinoisUS
Where else could I possibly find the Front Hub Assembly, for less than the $174.40 a piece that the dealer wants?

Thanks!
Clemente

I would really like to know the answer to this question as well. All I can find is used on ebay. No autoparts stores carry the front hub assemblies for 1gs! :cry:

I bought my hub assy from a local Napa store for $105 + tax.
Try napaonline.com if you don't have one local.
Pretty much any of your local auto parts stores will have, or can order your hub assy for you.

Again, I see them for a 2G, but not a 1G. It's not the same part for both 1G and 2G is it?

A 2g hub assembly and a 1g hub assembly are completely different. The 2g unit is all 1pc that bolts in. A 1g has the hub that presses into the bearing which is pressed into the knuckle and held with a snap ring. :thumb:

Hi Guys, I just had my Rear Hub assembly replaced on my rear right wheel. My mechanic quoted me $224 for parts/labor. I guess that equals about 1.5hrs of labor. Does that sound about right? TBH, Chris

A 2g hub assembly and a 1g hub assembly are completely different. The 2g unit is all 1pc that bolts in. A 1g has the hub that presses into the bearing which is pressed into the knuckle and held with a snap ring. :thumb:

As a follow up, this is correct info. You cannot purchase a complete front hub assembly for a 1g from an auto parts store and I speak from experience when I say not to buy these used (ebay). If you do buy used may sure to check them for play/leakage in person (junkyard). I ended up buying the front bearings and seals from Checker and installing them myself. I used a combination of this article here and also this article on Dsmtalk.

The only thing I disagree with in the first article is the fact that you WILL NEED to have access to a shop press in order to replace your wheel bearings and the article states that a shop press is not required. Banging away with a hammer did not work for me. Since my local shop charges $40/press for a total of $160 (press 2 out, press 2 back in) I decided to follow the second article and just buy a shop press from Harbor Freight. I got it on sale for like $100 and I have used it for other applications as well.

The rear wheel bearings on a 1g are sold as a 1 piece hub assembly and are availible at most auto parts stores (special order). Installing the rear hubs is actually pretty easy to do and no shop press is required. Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back